- Tomatoes are available year-round, with peak season being June to September.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes:
- Tomatoes are an excellent source of Vitamins A, C and K.
- They also contain potassium, which helps control blood pressure, maintain nerve function and help muscle control.
- Tomatoes are also an excellent source of lycopene.
How to Select Tomatoes:
- Look for plump, heavy tomatoes with smooth skins. They should be free of bruises, blemishes, or deep cracks, although fine cracks at the stem ends of ripe tomatoes do not affect flavor.
How to Store Tomatoes:
- Store tomatoes a room temperature. Never store in the refrigerator.
- Always store tomatoes stem-side-up to avoid bruising.
How to Prepare Tomatoes:
- Wash tomatoes under cold water just before using.
- Remove the stems and cores with a paring knife. Slice, dice or cut into wedges with a serrated knife.
Fun Facts About Tomatoes:
- There are more than 7,500 tomato varieties grown around the world.
- Pretty much all tomato varieties are red although other colors are possible including green, yellow, orange, pink, black, brown, white, and purple.
Learn more at Florida Tomatoes
Get additional resources in our Nutrition Education Center