Tomato soup and grilled cheese is a classic, kid-friendly comfort food. Skip the sodium-packed canned soup and make this easy, homemade recipe that’s packed with veggies! This Tomato Soup & Baked Mini Grilled Cheese will be your new go-to when you want a warming bowl of soup and a cheesy sandwich.
I don’t know about you but I grew up on grilled cheese dipped in tomato soup. Well, it is a classic one that I want to share with my kids, but I would prefer not to buy canned soups since they are loaded with salt. They are okay for a quick lunch but I knew I had to try my hand at a homemade version. And a healthier one at that. This homemade Tomato Soup & Baked Mini Grilled Cheese turned out so delicious and each and every one of my family members enjoyed it. The whole pot of soup was gone! So this is now on our menu for the colder months on a regular basis.
I had never made tomato soup from scratch before, and now that I have I am excited to make it more often. Fresh tomatoes, onions, and celery cook together to make this comfort soup. Really it is pretty simple with the help of a blender or food processor. Think the kids won’t try it? Just wait until they take a spoonful. You can also pack this up in their Thermos for a hot lunch during the school year, too!
Key Ingredients for this Tomato Soup & Baked Mini Grilled Cheese
What we love about tomatoes
As the base to many recipes, tomatoes are wonderful to cook with. Better yet? Absolutely loaded with awesome benefits. They are high in lycopene which is great for our skin. Tomatoes help maintain strong bones, can help lower bad cholesterol, and can help prevent certain cancers. They are even great for our heart health. Of course, that is just to name a few! So whatever variety you like, try to enjoy them more in your cooking and recipes!
How to make homemade Tomato Soup from Scratch
First combine the onion, celery, tomatoes and tomato paste in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Then add the vegetable mixture, vegetable broth, salt and pepper in to large pot. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with a sprinkle of basil.
For the Baked Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices, butter-side-down, on parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with cheese and other slice of bread, butter side up.
Bake 5-10 minutes, or until browned and cheese is melted.
Serve with the soup and enjoy!
Make sure to Pin It!
Tomato Soup & Baked Mini Grilled Cheese
- 1 medium sweet onion quartered
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 Beefsteak tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 slices low-fat Cheddar cheese
- Combine onion, celery, tomatoes and tomato paste in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Add vegetable mixture, broth, salt and pepper to large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Top each bowl with a sprinkle of basil.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices, butter-side-down, on parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with cheese and other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Bake 5-10 minutes, or until browned and cheese is melted.