It is almost that time of the year, time for entertaining and party going. Well, if you are on the look out for a new appetizer idea, try these Tomato, Feta & Pesto Puff Pastry Bites. These will be a hit at your next get-together. Paired with tomatoes, pesto, feta cheese and fresh basil for a melt-in-your-mouth appetizer.
Disclaimer: This recipe is sponsored by Village Farms. All opinions are our own.
Every year I try to come up with something new to make to take to our families get-togethers for the holidays. We are huge fans of snack boards, our Christmas tree mini pizzas, and some kid friendly treats. I had made a recipe with puff pastry a few weeks ago and loved how easy it was to work with. So I knew I wanted to come up with an appetizer that incorporated it. Whether setting the menu for your holiday celebration or looking for an elegant appetizer to enjoy year-round, this Tomato, Feta & Pesto Puff Pastry is simple and delicious.
Village Farms® Sinfully Sweet Campari® tomatoes pair with pesto, basil and feta cheese to create this combination of red, white and green, bringing a colorful spin to any holiday party.
What is puff pastry?
Puff pastry is a light and flakey dough that can be found in the freezer section near the pies and pastry shells. Itt can be made at home as well but for quick and easy recipes, we love the frozen puff pastry. All you need to do is let it thaw slightly, unroll and bake it with your other ingredients.
Key Ingredients for these Tomato, Feta & Pesto Puff Pastry Bites
- Puff Pastry– we used frozen puff pastry sheets which can easily be found in the freezer section in the grocery store.
- Tomatoes– we sliced the tomatoes thinly and then sprinkled them with some salt and pepper. As the star of the show, tomatoes are excellent source of Vitamins A, C & K, and are a great source of potassium.
- Feta Cheese– feta is a super flavorful soft cheese that is great paired with tomatoes. If you wanted to try another white cheese, go for it!
- Pesto– you can make your own or buy a small jar of pesto at the store. Pesto is made with pine nuts so make sure that you watch for any nut allergies.
- Basil– for this recipe we sliced up fresh basil but you could use dried basil as an alternative, too.
How to make these easy Tomato, Feta & Pesto Puff Pastry Bites
First preheat the oven to 400°F so it is ready to go when you are. Grab out a bowl and combine the tomatoes, oil, and some salt and pepper. Toss all together and set aside.
Next unroll the puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cut into 9 squares. Roll in the edges of the puff pastry slightly to create a frame.
Then top each pastry square with 1 tsp. of pesto, feta, and a tomato slice.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil. Serve right away and enjoy!
Make sure to PIN IT!
Tomato, Feta & Pesto Puff Pastry Bites
- 3 Village Farms® Sinfully Sweet Campari® tomatoes sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed slightly
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 sprig fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Unroll puff pastry on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cut into 9 squares. Roll in edges of puff pastry slightly to create a frame. Top each square with 1 tsp. pesto, feta and a tomato slice.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil.