This Chopped Cobb Salad has quickly become a new favorite. The benefit to chopping the ingredients up into bite-sized pieces is that the salad will be easier to handle and to eat, so it’s great for kids of all ages.
During the summer I love eating salads. They’re light, fresh and healthy, and easy to put together for lunch or dinner. Plus there’s no need to turn on the oven! Now that my kids are older they are really enjoying salads too, so
I’ve been playing around in the kitchen with different ingredients so I have a lot of options to offer them. Any way I can get my kids to eat more produce is a win for me!
Nutrition Tip: Romaine lettuce can add that addictive crunch to any side dish. Luckily, it can also add to your recommended daily intake of folate, which is a vital B vitamin needed for DNA production and healthy pregnancy.
I strayed a bit from the traditional Cobb here by replacing the blue cheese with cheddar, and using a light Ranch for the dressing. I wanted this salad to be kid-friendly, so I made a few swaps geared toward the kids.
Avocado is also a typical topping for a Cobb, but I didn’t use it here since my kids aren’t big fans. My suggestion is to chop some avocado and serve it on the side, then anyone who does like it can add it to their individual plate.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked, chopped
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1 cup shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing
- Place eggs in medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then remove from the heat and cover. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain and run eggs under cold water to cool. Peel and chop eggs.
- Place lettice on large serving platter. Add rows of eggs, bacon, chicken, cheese and tomatoes. If desired, add row of avocado. Drizzle with dressing and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 19gCholesterol: 301mgSodium: 1044mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 33g