This easy Slow Cooker Chicken And Tomatoes recipe is prepped in just a few minutes and is ready to serve at dinnertime. The simple sauce and tomatoes make this easy chicken recipe extra flavorful.
There’s nothing like coming home to the smell of a delicious and nutritious dinner all ready to go! Our days get busy, between work, the kids and all the different activities are involved in, so when everyone finally gets home, knowing that dinner is ready is wonderful! This slow cooker chicken and tomatoes cooks all day in the slow cooker so you have a healthy, home-cooked meal with little-to-no fuss.
Prep time for this slow cooker meal is only a few minutes, you simply add the tomato, onion and chicken to the crockpot then whisk up a simple Worcestershire, soy sauce and brown sugar sugar to pour over the top. Yum! And easy! Did I mention that this Slow Cooker Chicken and Tomatoes recipe was easy? 😉
- Chicken thighs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil
Once the chicken is done cooking, you can shred the chicken or leave as-is. It’s great to serve over rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice for a delicious and hearty dinner. To add a little more flavor, squeeze some fresh lemon over top! That touch of acid from the lemon really brings out the flavors from the sauce and tomatoes.
- Chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs. Chicken breasts don’t have as much flavor as chicken thighs, so if you make this substitution consider adding a bit more sauce.
- Don’t have cherry tomatoes? Grape tomatoes are an easy replacement, but feel free to use Roma tomatoes or even on the vine tomatoes. If you use bigger tomatoes I recommend slicing them into wedges.
Can you cook this slow cooker meal on high instead of low?
Yep! The typical rule of thumb is that if you are switching to cooking on high in a slow cooker, that your meal will be ready in 4 hours instead of 8 hours. I have found that cooking on high in the slow cooker tends to dry out the meats, so you may want to shred the chicken before serving so it soaks up the juices from the sauce and tomatoes.
What is the chicken is frozen? Can you put frozen chicken into the slow cooker?
Sure can! I do it all the time. If you are adding frozen chicken into the crockpot, I recommend cooking it on low for the full 8 hours. Always make sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly before serving.
Nutrition Tip: Tomatoes are not only high in vitamin C but also high in potassium, a mineral that’s considered a “nutrient of concern” because most kids (and adults) don’t get enough.
Slow Cooker Chicken & Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 small sweet onions sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken, onions and tomatoes in slow cooker.
- Whisk garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil and pepper in small bowl. Pour over chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high 4 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Serve with salad.