Dinner doesn’t have to be time-consuming or create a big mess. With the help of a few kitchen staples, this easy weeknight dinner is on the table in just 15 minutes! Filled with veggies like peppers, onions and potatoes, and topped with melted cheese, this skillet meal will be a hit with the whole family.
Nutrition Tip: The compound in red potatoes that gives them their hue works as an antioxidant in the body, protecting cells from disease-causing damage. Potatoes are also high in vitamin C, which will help the body soak up even more iron from the sausage in this dish.
Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Red Potato Skillet
- 4 smoked chicken-apple sausages sliced into ⅓” rounds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound red potatoes cut into ½” pieces
- 2 sweet bell peppers cut into ½” pieces
- 1 sweet onion cut into ½” pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook 3-5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- While sausage is cooking, place chopped potatoes and ¼ cup water in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain water and add potatoes to skillet. Cook, covered, 5 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Push potatoes to perimeter of skillet and add onion and peppers to center of skillet. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes. Remove cover and season with oregano and smoked paprika. Stir until combined. Cook 5-7 minutes. Add cooked sausage to pan and stir to combine. Continue to cook until sausage is warmed through.
- Add cheese, cover and turn off heat. Let cheese melt completely until ready to serve.