We love taco night in our house. But why do we have to keep tacos to just dinner time or to Tuesday? We don’t! My kids have been asking for new ideas in their lunchboxes so we can up with these easy mini taco wonton cups. They are ready in under 30 minutes and easy enough to make that the kids can help.
Key Ingredients in these mini taco cups made with wontons
- Lean ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Tomato, mini sweet peppers, onion and cilantro to make a quick salsa
- Wonton wrappers
- Shredded cheese – feel free to omit or use dairy-free
- Avocados – as a topping
What substitutions can you make in these wonton taco cups?
- Go meatless! Use refried beans or black beans
- Use ground chicken or ground turkey
- Top with sour cream, guacamole, and/or homemade salsa
How to store leftover wonton taco cups?
Your delicious wonton taco cups will be good for several days in the refrigerator. Making them excellent for meal-prep and lunchboxes. My kids are always excited when they open their lunchboxes and see these mini tacos.
Nutrition Tip: A serving of lean beef [about 3 ounces] provides 10 essential nutrients, including about half of your Daily Value for protein in around 150 calories.
We added a simple lettuce salad, yogurt with granola, and an apple for a nutritious and filling lunchbox recipe. Be sure to keep the salad dressing in a separate container so that the lettuce doesn’t get soggy by lunch.
If you are having them for dinner, I still recommend serving with a fresh salad topped with your favorite veggies.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
This easy recipe will make 24 mini tacos, my kids like to have about 3 in their lunchboxes and if I am serving them for dinner we all seem to have about 3-4 each. Especially since we will have sides to go along with them.
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning
- 1 roma tomato
- 2 mini sweet peppers
- 1/4 small RealSweet® sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 24-cup mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and return to pan. Add taco seasoning and mix well.
- Add tomato, peppers, onion and cilantro to food processor and chop until fine (or finely chop by hand). Add to ground beef and mix well.
- Line muffin pans with wonton wrappers, place 1 in each cup. Add taco mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until wontons start to brown on edges.
- Top with sliced avocados. To prevent avocados from turning brown in the lunchbox, toss with lime juice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3.5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 584mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 21g