Air Fryer Sweetpotato & Black Bean Taquitos
Ready in 30 minutes, these vegan Air Fryer Sweetpotato Taquitos are an easy weeknight meal option that the whole family will love! While this post is sponsored by the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission, all opinions and the recipe are our own.
It’s no secret that I love sweetpotatoes. You all have seen me make some pretty cool creations with them: popsicles, no churn chocolate ice cream, smoothies and more. What you haven’t seen me make is anything with an air fryer. And not just anything sweetpotato in the air fryer. I mean anything in the air fryer.
Yes, we have air fryer recipes here on Healthy Family Project, but not one I created. And there’s a very simple reason for that….because I just got an air fryer. Now, I have heard all the amazing things about air fryers, but I didn’t believe all the hype. I mean, I have an oven. Do I really need another appliance? Especially one that sits on my counter?! Well, while chatting with friends and family about their passion for air fryers, one thing came through loud and clear….vegetables cook up fast and perfect every time.
That intrigued me.
We love roasted vegetables in my house, in fact, that’s my kids favorite way to eat them, so I try to serve them as often as I can.
And potatoes and sweetpotatoes are another family favorite. But they do take the longest in the oven.
So, I jumped on the air fryer band wagon and this was my first creation! How excited are you that you get to hear all about my first air fryer experience 😉
For those of you that are new to air fryers too, I promise you, it’s easy to use! I took it out of the box, washed the basket and little tray and was on my way. Oh wait, preheat it first, then start cooking!
Now, obviously by the title of this recipe, the first thing I made was air fryer roasted sweetpotatoes. And would you believe that they were done in 10 minutes?! Holy smokes! How awesome is that?! Honestly, I was still prepping the other ingredients for these sweetpotato taquitos when the air fryer beeped and told me that the roasted sweetpotatoes were ready. Now, that’s fast! Thank you air fryer 🙂
Speaking of prepping ingredients and roasting sweetpotatoes, let’s chat about these yummy taquitos. Taquitos are rolled tortillas (either corn or flour) filled with your favorite ingredients. In this case, my favorite ingredients are those roasted sweetpotato cubes and some other yummy veggies making these sweetpotato taquitos vegan.
Sweetpotato Taquito Key Ingredients
- Black beans
- Onion , jalapeno and garlic
- Taco Seasoning
- Lime Juice
- Tortillas – You can use flour or corn, I used the low-carb flour variety.
That’s it! Easy enough, right?!
Why we love these Sweetpotato and Black Bean Taquitos
- They are easy to make.
- Dinner was ready in about 30 minutes.
- It’s a healthy spin on taco night.
How to make Sweetpotato Taquitos with Black Beans
First, prep your sweetpotatoes by peeling then and dicing it into 1/2 cubes. Preheat the air fryer, and when it’s ready toss the sweetpotatoes in to start roasting. While the sweetpotatoes are in the air fryer, prep the onion, garlic and jalapeno (you guys know that my family loves all things spicy, if yours doesn’t leave the jalapeno out!). Saute the veggies, add in the black beans, taco seasoning and lime juice. When the sweetpotatoes are ready, add those to the same pan to mix everything up. Now, line the kitchen counter with tortillas and start filling. This step is perfect to recruit the kids to help. Once the taquitos are filled, roll them up and toss them in the air fryer and bam…dinner is done!
I did serve mine with a fat-free lime crema, but you enjoy them as is, or with salsa, sour cream or guacamole. To keep your meal vegan use salsa or guacamole. The recipe for the fat-free lime crema is in the Notes section of the recipe card below.
Can you freeze sweetpotato taquitos?
Sure can! I recommend wrapping them individually in press n’ seal or freezer wrap to help with freezer burn/frost and then tossing them in a freezer bag. When you are ready, allow them to thaw in the refrigerator and re-warm in the sir fryer when ready to eat. You can warm them in the air fryer from frozen, but it will just take a bit longer.
Now, we loved these sweetpotato taquitos so much, I actually made another batch of air fryer sweetpotaoes and made these Southwest Sweetpotato Bowls the next day (similar ingredients, just in bowl form!).
Alright, let’s make some sweetpotato taquitos shall we? Oh…and be sure to checkout my PBJ Sweetpotato Taquitos too….I fell in love with air fryer taquitos and decided a sweet version had to be next.
Air Fryer Sweetpotato Taquitos
- 3 cups sweetpotatoes peeled, diced – approx 1 large sweetpotato
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno diced. optional
- 15 oz black beans, low-sodium 1 can. drained.
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning store bought or homemade. I used low-sodium.
- ½ lime juice of half a lime
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas I used the low-carb option.
- Preheat air fryer.
- Add the diced sweetpotato to the air fryer basket and lightly spray with olive oil spray.
- Cook the sweetpotato cubes for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Shake once or twice during the cooking process.
- While the sweetpotatoes are roasting in the air fryer, warm a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, saute until translucent.
- Add the diced jalapeno, stir well. *If your family doesn't like spicy, feel free to leave the jalapeno out.
- Add black beans, taco seasoning and juice from the lime. Stir well.
- Once sweetpotatoes are done, add them to the black bean mixture and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Lay the tortillas out on the counter and place 1-2 tablespoons of the sweetpotato mixture into each tortilla.
- Roll each tortilla tightly, like a cigar. And place the rolled tortilla, seam side down, in the air fryer.
- Fill the air fryer basket (it will fit about 8 rolled tortillas, you will have to do 2 batches to make them all).
- Spray the tortillas lightly with the olive oil spray.
- Cook in the air fryer for 9 minutes at 400°.
- Enjoy with salsa, guacamole, sour cream or lime crema…or just as is!