Are you ready for the perfect appetizer for game day or for when you have company? These Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potato Skins are the answer. These baked potato skins are topped with broccoli, cheddar cheese, and a drizzle of Ranch dressing for easy portability and snacking, even during the most intense games.
If you are like me and still crave some old favorites but are looking for healthier versions, these Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potato Skins are for you. The classic flavors of traditional potato skins get a make over with some added broccoli for a serving of vegetables. We were prepping some appetizers to watch some football last week and came up with these along with some Mini Sweet Pepper Pizzas. They were a hit so we figured we would share it with you.
Key Ingredients for these Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potato Skins
- Potatoes– we used russet potatoes but golden or red skins work, too.
- Broccoli– the main star of the recipe! Chop the broccoli up into smaller pieces for easy stuffing and eating.
- Cheese- we used cheddar but Colby, paper-jack, or your family’s favorite will work just fine.
Additions & Substitutions:
- Want to pump up the protein? Add in some chicken.
- Not a broccoli fan? Try these baked potato skins with some cauliflower.
- Feel free to customize with your family’s favorite cheese or even a spicy blend for some added flavor.
- Trying to stay away from ranch? Try a avocado dressing or even some Greek yogurt on top.
Nutrition Tip: Do your kids think broccoli looks like little trees? The name actually comes from the Latin word for “branch”. These tiny branches are loaded with vitamin C and disease-fighting compounds.
How to make these Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potato Skins
First start by prepping the potatoes by pricking them several times with a fork. Then either microwave on HIGH 5 minutes per potato, set aside to cool. Or you can place on a baking sheet. Bake for 45-60 minutes in a 400F oven or until tender. Let cool.
Then cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside of the potato (this can be mixed with toppings or saved for another dish, like mashed potatoes). Spray the skins with some cooking spray and place back on the baking sheet.
Next top the potato skin halves with the broccoli and cheese. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese melts. Top with Ranch dressing (or alternative). Serve them warm and enjoy!
What we love about broccoli
Broccoli is a power food which is why we love it! It is loaded with fiber, Vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. Broccoli is known to have some cancer fighting benefits, too. There are also some anti-inflammatory benefits which can help our bodies. Check out our Produce Tips page for more on how to select broccoli, how to store it, and more.
Make sure to PIN IT!
Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potato Skins
- 6 russet potatoes
- 2 cups cooked chopped broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- Prick potatoes several times with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 5 minutes per potato, set aside to cool. Alternatively, prick potatoes with fork and place on baking sheet. Bake 45-60 minutes in 400F oven or until tender. Let cool.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out inside of potato (this can be mixed with toppings or saved for another dish, like mashed potatoes). Spray skins cooking spray and place back on baking sheet.
- Top potato skin halves with broccoli and cheese. Bake additional 5-7 minutes, or until heated through and cheese melts. Top with Ranch dressing.