These crispy smashed potatoes are a lighter spin on classic potato skins and sure to satisfy French fry cravings. This recipe calls for the potatoes to be microwaved until tender to save time, but the potatoes can also be boiled in water first. Top with Greek yogurt and chives, or switch up with your favorite dressing or dip.
Nutrition Tip: Calling all active individuals! Red potatoes contain complex carbohydrates for sustained energy, and antioxidants in the red peel for an efficient recovery.
Smashed Red Potatoes
- 8 small red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Poke each potato a few times with a fork. Place on microwave safe plate. Place a paper towel over potatoes. Microwave on HIGH 2 minutes. Turn potatoes over and microwave on HIGH additional 2 minutes, or until tender. Remove from microwave and let cool.
- Cut potatoes in half width-wise and toss in olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place skin-side-up on parchment-lined baking sheet. Gently press down each potato with a potato masher until about ½-inch thick.
- Bake 30 minutes, turning potatoes halfway through cooking, until potatoes are browned.
- Let cool slightly before topping with yogurt and chives.