These Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apples are the perfect blend of sweet and savory. Prepped in just 15 minutes, this easy side dish recipe is perfect for the holidays and beyond.
Move over traditional scalloped potatoes, there’s a new side dish in town! Oh how I love sweet potatoes. Mildly sweet, a tad starchy, and when you bake them, they get a bit caramelized. What’s not to love about that? These Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with apples are the perfect combination of sweet and savory in one dish. Plus, everything bakes in one dish for easy prep and clean-up. No need to make a sauce in a skillet before baking!
These Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apple are prepped in about 15 minutes. I will admit, the hardest part about this recipe is slicing the sweetpotatoes and apples. You want them thin, but not too thin. You can use a mandoline if you have one, but it’s not required. But, once everything is sliced, you are ready to layer all those healthy fruits and veggies into a delicious holiday side dish. But don’t bookmark this recipe as holidays only, we love this all year round!
Key Ingredients For The Best Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes – Yep, you guessed it 😉 We love these tasty nutritious potatoes!
- Apples – We really like the sweet flavor that the apples add to making scalloped sweet potatoes.
- Sweet Onion
- Spices & Flour
- Heavy Cream – You can substitute 2% milk if you would like. We haven’t tried a non-dairy alternative in this recipe yet, but if you have, let us know which one and how it worked it out!
- Chicken Stock
- Lemon Juice
There are quite a few apples that are great for baking, two of our favorites are Empire and Honeycrisp. But feel free to use what you have available in the house.
Nutrition Tip: One medium sweet potato has four grams of fiber and as much potassium as a banana! The plant pigment responsible for their orange hue may help strengthen the immune system.
How to Make these Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apples Dish
First start by preheating the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking dish. Prep and wash the apples, sweetpotatoes, and onions.
Next toss the sweetpotatoes with some salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
Then in a separate bowl, toss the apples, onion, flour and lemon juice.
Spread half of the sweet potatoes in a single layer in baking dish. Top with apples and onions. Arrange remaining sweet potatoes on top in overlapping pattern.
Mix in the cream and chicken stock. Pour over the sweet potatoes.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Then increase the heat to 425F and remove the foil. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned on top. Serve hot with your favorite entrees and enjoy!
Make sure to PIN IT!
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium apples cored, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Toss sweet potatoes with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, toss apples, onion, flour and lemon juice.
- Spread half of sweet potatoes in single layer in baking dish. Top with apples and onions. Arrange remaining sweet potatoes on top in overlapping pattern.
- Mix cream and stock. Pour over sweet potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Increase heat to 425F and remove foil. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned on top.