Fall is in the air and sweet potatoes are on our minds. If you need a side for the holidays, try these Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Carrots for an easy and delicious combination.
This easy Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Carrots recipe is perfect for beginners and experienced Instant Pot users alike. It combines sweet potatoes and carrots for a delicious and colorful side dish that’s perfect to pair with any meal. Really this can be prepped and cooked easily with the help of the Instant Pot and perfect for Thanksgiving. We are all about making things easier for the holidays, so put this recipe on your menu!
Nutrition Tip: Both sweet and white potatoes are nutritious, but sweet potatoes offer beta-carotene (the pigment that makes them orange). That plays a role in vision and immunity and may help cut the risk of some kinds of cancer.
Do you have an Instant Pot and are unsure where to begin? I felt the same way for a while, in fact it sat in the box on my dining room table for longer than I’d like to admit. Not sure where to start either? Here are some Instant Pot Tips For Beginners, they helped me and I am sure they will help you too.
Once you start tinkering with this fun small kitchen appliance, I promise you’ll get the hang of it. The first time I used it was to make spaghetti squash, and since then I’ve used it quite a few times to cook up mashed potatoes, soup or chili, shredded chicken and the most perfect hard-boiled eggs.
What I’ve been loving about the Instant Pot is that I can use it in almost the same way as a slow cooker, but in less half the time. For those with busy after-school schedules (like us!), it really helps get dinner on the table without worrying too much about leaving a slow cooker on all day.
A few tips I’ve learned along the way:
- Use tongs to turn the release knob to avoid burning yourself with the release steam.
- Always include at least 1 cup of water when using – I learned this the hard way. I’ve made shredded chicken in the slow cooker using a small amount of water and natural juices from the chicken, this is not the same in an Instant Pot. It needs liquid to pressurize.
- Always check your release knob to make sure it’s set to “sealing” before using.
This recipe for Carrot and Sweet Potato Mash is one I’ve made several times as a side dish and my family loves it. I was inspired by a recipe I saw around the holidays that combined sweet potatoes and carrots in a casserole and I thought it was a great way to add a bit more variety of veggies into our meal.
Key Ingredients for this Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Carrots
How to make this Mashed Sweet Potato & Carrots In the Instant Pot
First place the sweet potatoes and carrots into the Instant Pot insert. Add the broth. Close the lid (make sure release valve is set to “sealing”).
Then press the Manual button and set time to 5 minutes. (Note: It will take about 15 minutes for Instant Pot to build pressure and heat before 5 minutes cook time begins).
After 5 minutes, allow to slow release for 2 minutes before turning release knob to venting setting (quick release). Be careful to not burn yourself on the steam when releasing knob (use tongs).
Then carefully drain the potatoes and carrots in a colander and place back into insert. Mash with until mostly smooth. Add, salt and pepper and stir well.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Make sure to PIN IT!
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Carrots
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, cut into 1” cubes
- 6 large carrots peeled, cut into 1” slices
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place sweet potatoes and carrots into Instant Pot insert. Add broth. Close lid (make sure release valve is set to “sealing”).
- Press Manual button and set time to 5 minutes. (Note: It will take about 15 minutes for Instant Pot to build pressure and heat before 5 minutes cook time begins).
- After 5 minutes, allow to slow release for 2 minutes before turning release knob to venting setting (quick release). Be careful to not burn yourself on the steam when releasing knob (use tongs).
- Carefully drain potatoes and carrots in a colander and place back into insert. Mash with until mostly smooth. Add, salt and pepper and stir well.