Packed with plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, this flavorful, summery salad is one you’ll want to make all year-round.
There’s a lot to love about summertime. There’s the hot days, warm nights, and easy-breezy lifestyle – not to mention flip flops are appropriate footwear for (almost) any occasion and sunscreen can dual as your “signature scent.”
Nutrition Tip: Jicama is an excellent example of an ingredient that should not be judged by outside appearances. If given a chance, this tuber provides crunch, sweetness, and dietary fiber for improved digestion.
When it comes to family meals during the summer months, no-cook recipes seem to rule since most of us will find any excuse to prevent our kitchen from transforming into a sauna. Keeping in season produce and pantry staples – such as canned beans – on hand makes whipping up summertime approved recipes easy as can be.
One of the particularly wonderful things about canned beans is that they can dual as a vegetable offering fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals in addition to plant-based protein.
Research has also shown that regularly eating legumes – such as black beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans – can offer a variety of wonderful health benefits, including lower blood cholesterol levels, decreased body weight, and reduced rates of heart disease, hypertension, some types of cancer, and diabetes.
This and their delicious taste and versatility in recipes is why I choose to eat legumes every day.
This Black Bean, Mango & Jicama Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette makes a perfect potluck dish during hot summer days and nights, and it’s great as leftovers for lunch.
This recipe is brought to you by McKenzie Hall Jones, RDN and Lisa Samuel, MBA, RDN, of NourishRDs.
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- ½ large jicama, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/3 cup crumbled cojita cheese
- Combine mangos, onion, corn, jicama, black beans and cilantro in large bowl.
- Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, honey and cumin in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over salad and toss.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with cheese before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2.5gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 310mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 13gSugar: 26gProtein: 8g