Start your morning off with a delicious, nutrient-packed smoothie! Avocado provides a uniquely silky smooth texture to this smoothie without an overbearing taste. Plus, avocados are great to kick off the day since they’re high in potassium, fiber and healthy fat.
Adding flax seeds to your smoothie is a great way to incorporate Omega-3 Fats and fiber into your diet. Feel free to explore other seeds! Chia seeds are also loaded in Omega-3’s and antioxidants. I personally like to add hemp seeds for that extra 10 grams of protein!
Nutrition Tip: Blueberries pack a plant compound called anthocyanins that give the berries their blue hue and may help with memory and learning in kids and grown-ups alike. They’re one of the few fruits native to the U.S.
Make-Ahead Tip: Freeze smoothie packs to quickly add to your blender. Just place all ingredients except milk (or liquid of choice) into a freezer-safe ziptop bag and freeze. When ready to blend, just add to blender with liquid and blend!
Other great ways to use avocados!
- Avocado toast: Mashing a hass avocado with red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder is my go-to filling breakfast topped with dry roasted edamame or pumpkin seeds.
- Hair Mask: If you’ve been dealing with dry/itchy/flakey scalp (we’ve all been there,) an avocado hair mask helps replenish moisture, soothing the scalp and helping hair grow and strengthen. Add a little oil and maybe some lemon, as it’s an antifungal that can help with dandruff.
- DIY Facemask: Experiencing dry skin? My favorite DIY facemask is mashed avocado with plain organic yogurt and honey. Avocados give that extra boost of hydration and Vitamin E to help prevent wrinkles.
Blueberry Avocado Smoothie
- 1 cup spinach
- 2/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 cup oat milk (or milk of choice)
- Add spinach, blueberries, avocado and flax seed to blender. Pour milk on top. Place lid on blender and blend until smooth.