These apple turnovers are so easy to make for a quick treat your family will love. Apples are cooked with a little brown sugar and cinnamon, wrapped in puff pastry and baked to golden perfection.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Arctic Apples. All opinions are our own.
It was a rare treat as a kid when my mom would bring home fresh apple turnovers from the grocery store. When we were ready to eat them, she’d warm them slightly in the oven. It was perfection!
Achieving that fresh apple turnover taste doesn’t have to mean spending all day in the kitchen perfecting that flaky crust. For this recipe, we’re using puff pastry, which you can find in the freezer section of your grocery store.
Puff pastry gives us that light, buttery, flaky goodness – no needing required! Just make sure to set the puff pastry out on your counter about 30-45 minutes BEFORE you’re ready to assemble these pockets of goodness so it has time to thaw.
When it comes to choosing your apples, you could go with just about any variety but I’m partial to using the classic green baking apple – Granny Smiths. This apple holds up really well when cooking and baking!
To make this recipe even easier (yes, really!) we’re using Arctic Apples® pre-sliced apples. Just give them a quick dice and into the pan they go, along with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, to soften.
We recently shared these Caramel Apple Yogurt Parfaits using Arctic Apples, and they’re an easy 4-ingredient recipe that’s the perfect taste of fall.
Once these come out of the oven with that flaky, golden-brown crust your family won’t be able to resist digging in!
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 (10 oz.) bag Arctic® Granny sliced apples, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until apples are tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheets. Cut into 4 squares each.
- Add about ¼ cup of apples into each square, leaving a ½-inch border. Fold over to form a triangle. Use a fork to press and seal edges. Prick the top with a fork to vent and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Beat egg and 1 Tbsp. water in small bowl. Brush tops of turnovers with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 turnover
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g