Looking for an easy dinner idea? We got you covered! This Healthy Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli is prepped in 5 minutes and ready to eat in under 30 minutes.
Chicken Alfredo is a creamy, cheesy pasta dish that’s popular in Italian cuisine. It’s typically made with fettuccine noodles and a white sauce, which is made from butter, flour, and milk. Chicken is often added to the dish for protein. Broccoli can also be added for extra nutrients. This recipe swaps out traditional fettuccine noodles for whole wheat penne pasta, and uses a lightened-up alfredo sauce made with Greek yogurt instead of cream. Chicken and broccoli are both cooked in the sauce, making it a one-pot meal.
What are the benefits of adding broccoli to your Chicken Alfredo?
There are several benefits to adding broccoli to Chicken Alfredo (or any meal!). For one, broccoli is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium. It’s also high in fiber, which can help to regulate digestion. Adding broccoli to Chicken Alfredo also increases the dish’s nutritional value, making it a healthier choice. Plus, it adds a delicious crunch and flavor to the dish. If you’re looking for a healthy and satisfying meal, Chicken Alfredo with broccoli is a great option that the whole family will love.
Does broccoli help you feel full longer?
There is some evidence that broccoli may help you feel full longer. This is because broccoli is a high-fiber food, and fiber takes a while to digest. When you eat broccoli, its fiber will slowly release into your bloodstream, helping to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Another reason to try this Skinny Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli recipe!
Is pasta healthy?
Whole wheat pasta is a healthier option than white pasta, because it contains more fiber and nutrients. However, even whole wheat pasta is high in carbs and should be eaten in moderation. All good things in moderation…right? 😉 If you’re looking for an even healthier alternative to traditional pasta, try using spiralized vegetables instead. Veggie noodles (zoodles) are a great way to get your pasta fix while getting in an extra serving of vegetables.
Skinny Chicken Alfredo Key Ingredients
- Chicken Broth
- Parmesan cheese
- Flour and olive oil
Alright, let’s get cooking shall we?! Dinner will be ready in under 30 minutes!
Healthy Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 8 oz. rotini pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ½ cup freshly-grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli florets during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and set aside. Slice once cooled.
- Return skillet to heat. Add butter and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes, or until butter is melted. Sprinkle with flour, then slowly whisk in chicken stock until smooth. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 1-2 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Add parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss pasta, broccoli and sauce until mixed well. Top with chicken.