This easy weeknight dinner idea is ready in under 30 minutes and only has a few ingredients. Make these easy taco stuffed peppers for dinner tonight!
I have a delicious spin on taco night for you guys today. Now, we absolutely love taco night in our house so I will openly admit that when I switched up taco shells for bell peppers I was expecting a little disappointment from my crew. And I did…that first look from the kids was “I thought you said it was taco night mom” but they both tried it.
Then they both ate two tacos stuffed peppers…peppers and all! Mom win! I will take every opportunity I can to get some extra vegetables into my kiddos (well, and us parents too) when I can, so I am absolutely thrilled that we made ZERO leftovers last night. In fact, when my daughter got back from karate (she ate before she left) she asked me if there was any left! There wasn’t, so she grabbed a cookie, but yeah, she asked for the stuffed peppers first and that’s saying something!
Why I love this Taco Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- It’s super easy to make! In fact, I had my kiddos help stuff the peppers. Love it when we can get the kids in the kitchen with us.
- Dinner is ready in under 30 minutes.
- It is an easy way to sneak in some extra vegetables into your meal.
- There is less than 10 ingredients.
Easy Taco Stuffed Peppers Key Ingredients
- Bell peppers
- RealSweet Onions, black beans and green chiles
- Tomato sauce
- Taco seasoning – store bought or homemade works great.
Taco Stuffed Peppers Simple Substitutions
- Swap the beef for chicken like we did in these mini-stuffed peppers, use ground turkey or use a meatless option.
- Leave out the cheese or use a vegan cheese for a dairy-free meal.
- Switch black beans for refried beans.
Alright, now that everyone is hungry, let’s start making some easy Taco Stuffed Peppers! The bell peppers will soften as they bake, but some people boil their peppers or bake them ahead of them to give them an extra softness. I find I like mine a little more firm so the 10 – 15 minutes in the oven on 400 is perfect for us.
Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef I used 93/7
- 1 RealSweet Onion
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz black beans 1 can – drained and rinsed
- 4 oz green chiles
- ½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat add the diced onions and saute for approximately 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, slice peppers in half, removing the stems and the seeds.
- Place them (hollow side up), on a greased baking sheet.
- Add the Taco Seasoning, tomato sauce, drained black beans and diced green chiles to the meat and cook for 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Scoop the taco meat inside each of the bell pepper halves.
- Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top each with cheese.
- Place back in the oven for 2- 3 minutes until cheese is melted.