Traditional stuffed peppers get a healthy upgrade by using quinoa instead of white rice and lean ground turkey instead of beef. Then we add a few tasty veggies for an extra kick of nutrition.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 (14 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 bell peppers, halved, seeded
- 1 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, onions and kale. Cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Add ground turkey, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, and cook 5-7 minutes or until turkey is cooked through. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Add quinoa and tomatoes. Stir to combine, reduce heat to low and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Place pepper halves in baking dish and fill with turkey mixture. Cover loosely with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven, top peppers with cheese and bake 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.