Homemade guacamole is easier than you think! It takes just a few ingredients to turn avocados into a delicious dip to eat with chips or top tacos, burgers and more.
When buying your avocados for a recipe that you’re trying to cook same-day, make sure to lean toward the darker, softer ones. If need be, a quick at-home remedy to ripening them quickly can be found in the kitchen.
Nutrition Tip: Whip up some guacamole for your next Taco Tuesday and reap the benefits from those avocados! This fruit contains fiber for digestion, monounsaturated fat for brain and heart health, and a plethora of vitamins and minerals for your cells.
Pop avocados in the oven at 200F for about 10 minutes, until soft (depending on how hard they were to begin with). Cool them off in the freezer for a few minutes and continue the process.
If you prefer your food on the spicier side, diced jalapenos add the perfect kick. I prefer buying them diced in a jar to save for more future uses.
And for our supertasters who say cilantro tastes like soap, this delicious recipe tastes just as great without the herb. Indulge quickly, as homemade guac only lasts in the refrigerator for 1-2 days, or until it starts browning.
Guacamole is a delicious and versatile dip that can be served in many different ways. Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy homemade guacamole:
- With tortilla chips: This is probably the most popular way to serve guacamole. Simply put a bowl of guacamole on the table with a basket of tortilla chips for dipping.
- As a topping for tacos: Guacamole is a great topping for tacos of all kinds, from beef to chicken to vegetarian options.
- With vegetables: Guacamole goes great with crudites like carrot sticks, celery, cucumber, and bell peppers.
- As a sandwich spread: Guacamole makes a tasty and healthy alternative to mayonnaise or mustard on sandwiches.
- With eggs: Guacamole pairs well with eggs of all kinds, from scrambled to fried to poached.
- As a salad dressing: Mix guacamole with a little bit of lime juice and olive oil to make a creamy salad dressing.
- As a burger topping: Guacamole is a great way to add flavor and creaminess to burgers of all kinds.
- With grilled meats: Guacamole is a great accompaniment to grilled meats like chicken, steak, and pork.
- As a dip for shrimp or other seafood: Guacamole pairs well with shrimp and other seafood, making it a great option for parties and gatherings.
- In a wrap or burrito: Spread guacamole on a wrap or tortilla before adding other ingredients like chicken, rice, and beans.
Easy Homemade Guacamole
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 small tomato finely chopped
- 1/4 small red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Mash avocados in large bowl. Add tomato, onion, cilantro, salt and lime juice. Mix well.