Prepped in just 10 minutes, your whole family will love this no churn sweetpotato chocolate ice cream! Yes, there’s sweetpotatoes in it! Sweetpotatoes make it extra creamy and add nutrients. While this post is sponsored by the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission, all opinions and the recipe are our own.
Warmer weather is officially here in Florida and that means we are always looking for sweet treats to cool us down, right? Please tell me that doesn’t only happen in my house! Our favorite summer treat is by far, ice cream. I swear we could eat ice cream daily! So, when I found out that I could make it myself, without an ice cream maker, and add in some extra nutrients…I was pretty excited.
Have you ever made ice cream before? It’s actually a lot easier than you think! The hardest part is patiently waiting for it to freeze.
So, how exactly do you get extra nutrients into ice cream? And not have the kiddos (or spouse) know that you snuck in some veggies?
This incredibly creamy, delicious, chocolatey ice cream is made with sweetpotatoes. In fact, it’s the sweetpotatoes that make it extra creamy and delicious.
We all know that sweetpotatoes are popular sides for holiday meals, but it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy this healthy veggie anytime of the year. In fact, this orange superfood is one of the most nutritious vegetables you can find! What’s even better is that sweetpotatoes are in season all-year round, which means you don’t need to wait for November and December to pass by for you to be able to enjoy them. In fact, summer is the perfect time to enjoy them…especially when it’s in ice cream.
Oh, and don’t let the fact that there’s sweetpotatoes in this no-churn ice cream scare you away, sweetpotatoes are naturally sweet and delicious, so the fact that they aren’t in more ice cream recipes is beyond me! You could probably not even tell the kiddos (or hubby) that’s there is a veggie in the easy ice cream recipe and they would never know! Mine didn’t 😉
How exactly did I use sweetpotatoes to make chocolate ice cream? Well, I simply cooked the sweetpotatoes, mashed it, then added the other ingredients to a blender and tossed it in the freezer. Yes…it was just that easy.
Chocolate Ice Cream Made With Sweetpotato Key Ingredients
Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Substitutions
I used milk chocolate chips in my recipe, but you can easily make this homemade ice cream recipe vegan and dairy-free by using dairy-free chocolate chips.
What’s the best way to cook the sweetpotato when making homemade chocolate ice cream?
I microwaved my sweetpotato, but you can bake it if you prefer. Microwaving the sweetpotato was the fastest option.
How long does it take for a sweetpotato to cook in microwave?
I had a medium size sweetpotato and it was nice and soft in just 5 minutes. To cook your sweetpotato in the microwave, wash it, dry it, and then pierce the sweetpotato 4-5 times with a fork or knife. Next, place the sweetpotato on microwave-safe plate and cook for 5 minutes. If your sweetpotato isn’t soft and fork tender after 5 minutes continue microwaving in 30 second increments until it’s ready.
How long does it take to make homemade chocolate ice cream?
The prep time for this recipe was less than 10 minutes! Then you do have to wait for it to freeze. Mine was ready in about 3-4 hours.
What are some of the health benefits of sweetpotatoes?
- Sweetpotatoes are rich in beta carotene and vitamin A, plus, being a healthy veggie with all the fiber, folate, potassium, and other vitamins that your body needs.
- Rich in Vitamins C, B, beta carotene, iron and phosphorus (which are all great immunity boosters), sweetpotatoes help your immune system defend itself against infections and inflammation.
- Since sweetpotatoes are rich in fiber, aside from tasting good, this vegetable is your excellent ally in better digestion. Fiber also aids in the balance of water in your body.
Why do I keep spelling sweetpotato as one word?
Because it is actually one word! Did you know that? I literally just learned it myself a few months ago! Check out the details of this sweet fact here.
No Churn Sweetpotato Chocolate Ice Cream FAQs
Q: How do you make no churn chocolate ice cream with sweetpotatoes?
A: To make no churn chocolate ice cream with sweetpotatoes, cook and mash a sweetpotato. Then blend it with coconut milk, chocolate chips, vanilla and salt. Freeze the mixture for 3-4 hours, stirring every 30-45 minutes.
Q: What makes this chocolate ice cream creamy without churning?
A: The mashed sweetpotatoes provide a creamy texture to this no churn chocolate ice cream. sweetpotatoes are naturally creamy when cooked.
Q: How long does the no churn sweetpotato chocolate ice cream take to make?
A: The prep time is 10 minutes. After freezing for 3-4 hours, stirring periodically, the ice cream is ready to eat.
Q: What are some health benefits of sweetpotatoes?
A: sweetpotatoes are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, potassium and beta carotene. They help boost immunity and improve digestion.
Q: Can you make this ice cream recipe vegan?
A: Yes, by using dairy-free chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate chips, this recipe can be made vegan and dairy-free.
Alright, are we ready to make some ice cream? Let’s do it!
No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream Made With Sweetpotatoes
- 3/4 cup cooked mashed and packed orange sweet potato – approx 1 med sweetpotato I cooked mine in the microwave for 5 minutes. Be sure to poke holes in it before cooking.
- 13 1/2 oz can room temp light canned coconut milk shaken
- 5 ½ oz chocolate chips approx 1/2 of a bag
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the mashed sweetpotato, coconut milk, vanilla and salt to your favorite blender.
- Following the instructions on the bag of chocolate chips, melt the chocolate chips. I used the microwave method. *Be sure not to overcook.
- Add the melted chocolate chips to the blender.
- Blend until smooth and mixed thoroughly.
- Pour the sweetpotato/chocolate mixture into a loaf pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- Every 30 – 45 minutes stir the chocolate mixture, the edges will start to freeze first and you will want to stir that in to insure an even creamy texture. Do this at least 3 times.
- Your ice cream will be ready to enjoy in about 3 – 4 hours. If you freeze your homemade ice cream overnight you will need to allow it to thaw on the counter for about 5 mins so that it is soft enough to scoop.
- I topped mine with extra chocolate chips. Other toppings could be chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, fresh fruit and/or whipped topping.