Homemade Banana Sushi Rolls
These banana sushi rolls are so fun to add to lunchboxes alongside your kid’s school day favorites. Not only are they a healthy and easy-to-pack lunchbox option, but they’re also fun! And as a parent you know that kids are more inclined to clean a fun plate than a boring one.
Take it up a notch by packing chopsticks to give it an authentic sushi feel (and to improve those fine motor skills) and some yogurt dip to serve as the “sauce.”
Nutrition Tip: Think of the fat in your diet as a balancing act. Balance a higher fat option (in this case, peanut butter) with low-fat options [like fruit] over time.
While this lunchbox creation may look complicated, it truly couldn’t be simpler to assemble. Plus, it calls for 6 ingredients that you probably have on-hand or that are recurring items on your grocery list!
- 1 large whole wheat tortilla
- 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter, divided
- 1 banana, peeled
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 kiwi, sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
How To Make Banana Sushi Rolls
To make your own homemade banana sushi rolls, just lay out all of your ingredients and prepare to assemble.
First, lay the tortilla on flat surface. Spread half of the peanut butter on it, place the banana on one end of tortilla, and roll up tightly. Cut into even slices, and place sliced strawberries and kiwi on top of each section.
Microwave remaining peanut butter on high for 30 seconds, or until melted, and drizzle over banana sushi. Top with shredded coconut, and pack away!
Also, don’t forget to let your kids help in the lunch-making process! It will take a little bit more time, but this is a fun and constructive way to involve them in the responsibility of preparing and packing their lunch. Plus, they’ll more more inclined to eat every bite of something they made themselves!
TIP: Keep the bananas from browning in the lunchbox, you can rub a little lemon juice on the cut sides before placing in the lunchbox.
- Swap the whole wheat tortilla for a spinach tortilla for added color and nutrients!
- Sprinkle some chopped nuts, chia seeds, or flax seeds on the layer of peanut butter for added crunch.
- If your school is a nut-free zone, then swap the peanut butter for soy butter, Sunbutter, or chocolate hummus.
More Recipes To Try
If you and your kids enjoyed our Banana Sushi Rolls, then you’ve got to try these other lunchbox recipes:
- Chicken and Rice Muffins
- Fruity PB&J Sandwich
- Homemade Lunchables
- Pizza Bagel Bites
- Black Bean Empanadas
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
Banana Sushi Rolls
- 1 large 6-inch whole wheat tortilla
- 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter divided
- 1 banana peeled
- 2 strawberries sliced
- 1/2 kiwifruit sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- Lay tortilla on flat surface. Spread with half of the peanut butter. Place banana on one end of tortilla and roll up. Cut into even slices and place strawberries and kiwi sliced on top.
- Microwave remaining peanut butter on HIGH 30 seconds, or until melted, and drizzle over banana sushi.
- Top with shredded coconut.