Looking for a fun and healthy new lunch box idea? Check out these Turkey “Sushi” rolls for a great way to get in your vegetables and protein in for the day. Both the kids and the adults will enjoy eating these little roll ups. Great to pack for lunch or even as an after school/ mid day snack that the whole family will enjoy.
Nutrition Tip: Deli turkey meat is an excellent source of lean protein, a satisfying nutrient that may help with overeating and weight management.
What is Turkey “Sushi” you may ask. Well my family calls it sushi because they have rice, vegetables, and are rolled up just like sushi rolls. Really these are a fun and creative way to eat your protein and vegetables all in one little snack size portion. We packed our Turkey Sushi Rolls with some carrot and celery sticks to round out the entire meal. So add your family’s favorite sides to make your Bento Box more complete.
Key Ingredients for these Turkey Sushi Rolls
Spinach Tortillas– We chose to use spinach wraps in this recipe because I try to add vegetables wherever possible. You can use whatever flavor wraps/tortillas your family enjoys.
Turkey– Deli turkey is a great source of protein and great for easy and quick lunches. Turkey is very versatile in lunch recipes so we keep it in the drawer during the school year.
Rice– This grain contains energy to fuel you throughout the day, is easy to digest, and has a fair amount of nutrients. If you wanted to use brown rice that works, too!
Carrots– I liked adding carrots in these wraps because the kids love them, they are great for you vision, and add a nice crunch to this recipe.
Cucumbers– Since cucumbers are made up mostly of water they are a great way to help you and the kids stay hydrated throughout the day. Plus cucumbers are used in many sushi recipes which give these wraps a more real sushi texture.
How to make these Turkey “Sushi” Rolls
First start by heating the tortillas in the microwave on HIGH for 15 seconds. Then lay the tortilla out on a clean surface and coat the tortilla with dressing. Layer turkey slices on top.
Then add the cooked rice onto ½ of turkey; press down to flatten. Next layer the carrots, cucumber, salad, tomato and cheese in a line on top. Roll the tortilla around the rice and veggies and then cut into 2-inch pieces. You can add a tooth pick to help them stay together!
Make sure to PIN IT!
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- Best Lunch Boxes For Kids
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
Make sure to check out our Banana Sushi Rolls, too!
- 1 9-inch spinach tortilla
- 2 tablespoons light Ranch dressing
- 3 slices lowfat deli turkey breast
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 2 slices seedless cucumber peeled, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 slice tomato cut into thin strips
- 1 slice lowfat Cheddar cheese cut into thin strips
- Heat tortilla in microwave on HIGH 15 seconds.
- Coat tortilla with dressing. Layer turkey slices on top. Add rice onto ½ of turkey; press down to flatten. Layer carrots, cucumber, salad, tomato and cheese in a line on top.
- Roll tortilla around rice and veggies; cut into 2-inch pieces.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use regular tortillas?
Yes! You can use flour tortillas, red pepper tortillas, or spinach herb would be great too!
How long will these Sushi Rolls keep in the refrigerator?
These wraps will stay fresh for a few days. Just make sure to check the date on the package from the Turkey from the deli.