- Strawberries are available year-round in most regions, with peak season for Florida strawberries being November to April and California strawberries being April to December.
Health Benefits of Strawberries:
- One serving of strawberries can help improve heart healthy, lower the risk of developing some cancers and lower blood pressure.
- One serving of strawberries offers 160% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C
- Strawberries also contain phytonutrients, potassium, folate and fiber.
How to Select Strawberries:
- Choose symmetrically-shaped strawberries with a brilliant sheen, a rich, even red color and fresh unwilted green caps.
How to Store Strawberries:
- Strawberries are highly perishable and should be refrigerated in their original package in refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
How to Prepare Strawberries:
- Always wash your strawberries before you eat them. The best way to do this is to carefully place them into a colander, rinse under cold water and gently pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- To get the fullest flavor, bring strawberries up to room temperature before eating.
- Remove the green tops, or hull, and enjoy!
Fun Facts about Strawberries:
- Strawberry plant varieties are grown from the plant’s runners, not the seeds. Planting a strawberry seed would give you a new variety of strawberry
- Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside. The average berry has about 200 seeds.
- Historically strawberries were used medicinally to help with digestive ailments, teeth whitening and skin irritations.