A quick & easy vegan lunch that’s perfectly packable for your lunchbox, both warm or cold. Pair with a fresh salad of sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes and avocado tossed with lemon juice, pepper and salt.
Nutrition Tip: Hummus is an excellent source of fiber, which has multiple health benefits, including helping to foster a healthy digestive system, making us feel full and satisfied, and improving cardiovascular health.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox ideas? We’ve got you covered with 70+ ideas including make-ahead ideas, non-sandwich lunches, ideas for repurposing leftovers, and vegetarian, nut-free and gluten-free recipes.
Or check out all of our back-to-school content on our blog. A few of our most popular posts include:
- The Ultimate Guide to Packing Healthy Lunchboxes
- After-School Snacks that Won’t Ruin Dinner
- The Best Lunchboxes for Kids
- 20 Lunchbox-Packing Tips & Hacks from Parents
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 whole wheat pitas
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, pepper, oregano and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Warm pitas (optional) in microwave or stovetop.
- Slice each pita in half, making six pockets. Spread hummus on inside of pitas. Fill evenly with pepper mixture, Romaine, tomatoes and olives.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 8.79gSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 32.39gFiber: 6.57gProtein: 7.15g