Plant based sausage, potatoes, onions, peppers and tomatoes cook together in one skillet for a delicious and easy meal your family will love. One skillet also makes for easy clean-up! This dish is great for breakfast or dinner and super flavorful!
Last year, just before the holidays, my family made the decision to go plant-based. Over the years, I’ve cut out or back on dairy and meat to help with stomach issues so neither was a huge part of my diet.
Before, our family was mostly plant-based, although eggs, dairy and meat did pop up throughout our week (my youngest loves salmon while my oldest can’t live without quesadillas). So we do try to eliminate meat where we can and this Plant Based Sausage & Potatoes Skillet is one of our favorite dishes.
Here’s what you need for this Plant Based Sausage & Potato Skillet:
- Plant-Based Italian Sausage: Beyond Meat, Impossible Foods or other plant-based meat alternatives. Of course, you could always use regular Italian sausage if you’re not plant-based.
- Veggies: Potatoes, onions, bell peppers and tomatoes all chopped and ready to go. Have other veggies on hand? They’re probably great in here too!
- Pasta Sauce: I always look for a pasta sauce that’s lower in sodium and added sugar.
- Oil & Seasonings: A little olive oil to cook everything plus Italian seasoning and garlic powder (or fresh garlic). Fresh basil is also great, but totally optional if you don’t have any on hand.
Did I mention it all cooks in one skillet? One-pot meals really are a busy mom’s best friend!
How to make this all in one Plant Based Sausage & Potato Skillet
Step 1: Cook the potatoes
In your skillet, add the oil and heat. Add in your potatoes and onions and cook until the potatoes are slightly tender for about 10 minutes.
Step 2: Add in the plant based sausage & other veggies
Once the potatoes are tender add in the sausage, peppers, and tomatoes. Season with the garlic salt and add a little more oil. Let cook for about 20 minutes until all the vegetables are soft and the sausage is cooked throughout.
Step 3: Stir in the sauce
When the sausage is cooked, stir in the pasta sauce and top with fresh basil. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes of course you can prep all the ingredients and cook when ready. Or you can cook it all up and then just reheat when ready to serve! This meal makes a great meal prep idea too. Divide servings up into containers for a grab and go meal.
Can I use other plant based meat?
Yes! This would also be great with plant based bacon, breakfast sausage, or even chicken!
Plant-Based Sausage & Potato Skillet
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 small baking potatoes chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 4 plant-based Italian sausage links sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 1 Roma tomato chopped
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup low-sodium/low-sugar jarred pasta sauce
- Fresh basil for topping
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, onions and Italian seasoning. Cook 10 minutes, or until potatoes are slightly tender.
- Add sausage, peppers, tomatoes, garlic salt and 2 tsp. olive oil. Cook additional 10-15 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Stir in pasta sauce and cook additional 2 minutes, until sauce is heated. Top with fresh basil.