Pita bread is one of the most versatile foods, in my opinion. It can be a great (light) replacement for bread when you are in the mood for a sandwich, turned into wonderful crisps to scoop up your favorite dip or topped with your favorite pizza toppings. Personally, I use pita most often to make individual pizzas for my family.
Everyone is happy with their own pizza toppings and they cook up extremely quick, which makes for great weeknight meals or Saturday nights. I also love to stuff them with egg scrambles for breakfast or toasted up under the broiler topped with shredded chicken or ground meat and turn it into a tasty melt.
Needless to say, pita isn’t just for hummus (although it’s certainly is great with hummus).
Next time you are at the grocery store, grab a bag of pita and try something new!
Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- Tuna Melts – whip up your favorite tuna salad (here is my go-to light & tangy tuna salad) and top your pita with it along with cheese and sliced tomato or avocado. Place under the broiler for a few minutes and you are set!
- Breakfast Sandwiches – scramble up some eggs with your favorite veggies (peppers, onions and mushrooms come to mind) and cheese and stuff inside a pita half for a portable breakfast sandwich. Or try this Early Riser’s Pita, packed with protein!
- Pizza – the ideas are endless with pita pizzas! Top with tomato sauce and Italian seasoning, veggies, protein of choice and of course lots of cheese.
- Homemade protein salads such as chicken, egg, tuna or bean salads are perfect to stuff inside of pita. I love the looks of this Avocado Egg Salad and Garbanzo Summer Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing for a healthy lunch.
- Shredded Chicken Melts – You can really get creative with your slow cooker to make shredded chicken perfect for an easy chicken melt. Use slow cooker pesto chicken, barbecue chicken or salsa chicken, top with your favorite cheese and put under the broiler for an easy tasty meal.