- Oranges are generally found in store year-round, with peak season being November to April.
Health Benefits of Oranges:
- Oranges are a healthy source of fiber, Vitamin C, thiamin, folate, potassium and antioxidants.
How to Pick a Good Orange:
- Choose oranges that feel heavy for their size and have firm, finely textured skin.
- Skin color is not an indicator of flavor or ripeness. Those with greenish hues can be just as tasty as bright orange ones.
- Avoid any oranges with soft spots or those that feel spongy.
How to Store Oranges:
- Store oranges at room temperature for up to 1-2 days.
- Ripe oranges should be store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
How to Prepare Oranges:
- Always wash before eating.
- Remove the peel with knife or orange peeler. Gently rolling the orange between your hands will loosen the peel and make peeling much easier.
- Check out these 16 kid-friendly citrus recipes!
Fun Facts About Oranges:
- The color orange was named after the fruit, not vice-versa. The word orange comes from the Sanskrit naranga meaning fragrant.
- The bigger the navel in an orange, the sweeter it will be!