- Oranges are generally found in store year-round, with peak season being November to April.
Health Benefits of Oranges:
- Oranges are a healthy source of fiber, Vitamin C, thiamin, folate, potassium and antioxidants.
How to Pick a Good Orange:
- Choose oranges that feel heavy for their size and have firm, finely textured skin.
- Skin color is not an indicator of flavor or ripeness. Those with greenish hues can be just as tasty as bright orange ones.
- Avoid any oranges with soft spots or those that feel spongy.
How to Store Oranges:
- Store oranges at room temperature for up to 1-2 days.
- Ripe oranges should be store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
How to Prepare Oranges:
- Always wash before eating.
- Remove the peel with knife or orange peeler. Gently rolling the orange between your hands will loosen the peel and make peeling much easier.
- Check out these 16 kid-friendly citrus recipes!
Fun Facts About Oranges:
- The color orange was named after the fruit, not vice-versa. The word orange comes from the Sanskrit naranga meaning fragrant.
- The bigger the navel in an orange, the sweeter it will be!
Learn more at the Florida Department of Citrus, California Citrus Growers Association and Summer Citrus from South Africa
Get additional resources in our Nutrition Education Center