These mini carrot muffins with orange and raisin are great for a grab-and-go breakfast or snack option. Have an extra batch in the freezer for the busy back to school time.
Nutrition Tip: You may have been told that carrots are great for eye health, but have you heard about their impact on oral health? These root vegetables have been shown to help prevent tooth decay and keep gums healthy because of the antioxidants they contain.
- 1 large Sunkist® Navel orange
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 ounces matchstick carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Zest orange. Cut in half and juice to yield 1/4 cup juice.
- Mix eggs, applesauce, vanilla and 1/4 cup juice in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest in separate bowl.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well blended. Fold in carrots and raisins.
- Spoon batter into greased mini-muffin tin and bake 35-40 minutes, or a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from muffin tins and let cool.