Chinese chicken salad goes plant-based with this delicious vegan recipe. This pasta salad is packed with mini sweet peppers, mandarins, green onions, spinach and carrots, then tossed with a sesame ginger dressing and topped with Chow Mein noodles for added crunch.
This make-ahead lunchbox option is perfect for those busy weeks. Prep at the beginning of the week and mix and match with your favorite sides for each meals. We really love pairing this pasta salad with edamame and these SunGold™ kiwi. In just one fruit you get over 100% of your recommended daily value of Vitamin C!
Packing Tip: Pack the Chow Mein noodles in a small container in the lunchbox to be added right before eating to ensure optimal crunchiness!
Nutrition Tip: Mandarins and sweet peppers are both loaded with vitamin C, which has a special power: It helps the body soak up more iron from other foods in the meal (like the pasta and spinach in this salad).
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox ideas? We’ve got you covered with 70+ ideas including make-ahead ideas, non-sandwich lunches, ideas for repurposing leftovers, and vegetarian, nut-free and gluten-free recipes.
Or check out all of our back-to-school content on our blog. A few of our most popular posts include:
- The Ultimate Guide to Packing Healthy Lunchboxes
- After-School Snacks that Won’t Ruin Dinner
- The Best Lunchboxes for Kids
- 20 Lunchbox-Packing Tips & Hacks from Parents
Chinese Mandarin Pasta Salad
- 16 ounces rotini pasta
- 6 mini sweet peppers, sliced
- 3 Bee Sweet Citrus mandarins, peeled, segmented
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup sesame ginger dressing
- 1/4 cup Chow Mein noodles
Sides (per lunchbox)
- 1 Zespri™ SunGold™ kiwi, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 cup steamed edamame pods
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Mix pasta, peppers, oranges, green onion, spinach, carrots and dressing in large bowl. Toss to coat well. Top with Chow Mein noodles. (For lunchboxes, pack Chow Mein noodles in a small container to be added right before eating to ensure optimal crunchiness!)
- Serve with SunGold kiwi and edamame
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 346mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g