This Sweet Kale Salad Fried Rice recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner. Ready in under 30 minutes, this internationally inspired recipe will soon be one of your favorite ways to enjoy Sweet Kale Salad Kits! While this post is sponsored by Eat Smart, all opinions, the recipe and our love of healthy easy meals are our own.
Every week my husband buys at least 2 Sweet Kale Salad Kits. He brings a salad with him just about everyday for work, he will usually pick up a rotisserie chicken as well so he can add some protein. But sometimes, he ends up with more lunch meetings than expected, or he has to travel unexpectedly. And while I am perfectly happy eating the Sweet Kale Salad for lunch too, this past week they were on sale and he bought 4. Which is usually fine as well, but he ended up not needing 3 out of the 4, so I decided to get a little creative with dinner.
My family loves fried rice and I love getting in extra doses of vegetables when I can, so I decided a Sweet Kale Salad Fried Rice was in order. Since we were chatting about National Nutrition Month and the fact that they were Celebrating A World of Flavors, my family was willing to give my new recipe idea a try.
They all loved it! My son was a tad leery of adding the dried cranberries to his rice, but he was pleasantly surprised and even sprinkled on more! #momwin
What is fried rice?
Well, once you have cooked the rice according to package instructions (using a rice cooker or on the stove), you will then saute it in a big pan or wok. I used a wok. I like cooking the rice ahead of time, it will “fry” better.
What do you put in fried rice?
That’s one of the wonderful things about fried rice, you can put in a variety of other ingredients! Most commonly you will find vegetables and a protein.
Is fried rice easy to make?
Yes! I actually made a big batch of rice on Sunday (I absolutely love our rice cooker) and toss it in the refrigerator to use in recipes throughout the week. This week I used it in this Sweet Kale Fried Rice recipe, our Easy Chicken Curry, and in Greek Chicken Bowls.
Where did fried rice originate from?
Fried rice is a Chinese-inspired dish.
Sweet Kale Salad Fried Rice Key Ingredients
- Eat Smart Sweet Kale Salad Kit
- Onion and garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Rice wine vinegar
Alright, ready to get cooking? I hope you all enjoy this fried recipe as much as we do! It’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
Sweet Kale Salad Fried Rice
- Wok or large saute pan
- 12 oz Eat Smart® Sweet Kale Salad Kit 1 package
- ¼ sweet onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Olive oil spray
- 1 ½ tbsp cooking/vegetable oil
- 2 cups white rice cooked
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Remove the dressing and toppings from the salad kit. Set aside.
- Spray large skillet or wok with olive oil spray
- Add garlic and onions, cook for approximately 1-2 minutes until the onions start to get translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the kale salad mix, and salt and pepper to skillet.
- Over medium-high saute kale mixture about 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove kale mixture from skillet and set aside.
- Add cooking oil to hot skillet and add rice.
- Reheat over medium for 13 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the rice to turn a little brown, “fried”.
- Sprinkle rice vinegar over rice.
- Add in the cooked sweet kale salad mixture, mix well.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with salad toppings and drizzle on the dressing.
Take your meal planning game to a new level – join us on a Mission for Nutrition! Grab a free ebook with 6 simple and easy recipes and meal prep ideas for your family!
Follow #MissionForNutrition on Instagram for meal prep ideas and more.
Looking for more meal prep tips and healthy recipes? Check out these posts: