Turn a chicken and rice dinner into these lunchbox-friendly Chicken and Rice Muffins! Make a big batch at the start of the week for easy snacks and school lunches.
Homemade Chicken and Rice Muffins
Anything you can make in a muffin tin is a win in my book. There’s something about food in the shape of a cupcake or muffin that kids go crazy for, even when it’s packed with good-for-you, nutritious ingredients.
This was the inspiration behind our Homemade Chicken and Rice Muffins Recipe. We knew we could turn our reader-favorite chicken and rice casserole into a lunchbox-friendly option kids would love.
These savory muffins require just 6 ingredients — eggs, brown rice, chicken, broccoli, cheese, and Sazón seasoning — and 15 minutes of baking time. Just mix everything together, add to your muffin tin, and bake! They’re like miniature versions of chicken and rice casserole.
Nutrition Tip: Studies have shown that significant weight control has been observed in people who regularly ate chicken because of its protein content.
All you need to make these super simple Chicken and Rice casserole muffins at home is a few pantry staples, fresh veggies, and some flavor boosters:
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups cooked (and cooled) brown rice
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken (You can use breasts or thighs, depending on your family’s preference.)
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese (Pre-shredded is fine, but grating it yourself from a block will result in creamier melted cheese for the mini casseroles.)
- 1 tsp Sazón seasoning (Aka a super flavorful Latin blend of spices like coriander, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and ground achiote or turmeric.)
How To Make Homemade Sazón Seasoning
Make your own homemade Sazón seasoning by combining:
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground anatto seeds (aka achiote) or turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper.
Store in an airtight container in your pantry for up to a year. Perfect for doubling or even tripling to make sure you always have some on hand!
How To Make Chicken and Rice Muffins
- Prep Oven and Baking Pan: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine Ingredients: Whisk eggs in large mixing bowl. Add cooled rice, chicken, kale, broccoli, cheese and seasoning. Mix well.
- Pour Mixture into Muffin Cups: Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let sit in pan a few minutes to cool, then remove.
- Serve with trail mix, green beans and Ranch. Pack in a Thermos to keep them hot until lunchtime.
How To Meal Prep These Chicken and Rice Muffins
These savory Chicken and Rice Muffins are great warm out of the oven for weekend lunches or busy weeknight dinners, but they also pack well in lunchboxes. My toddler doesn’t have a problem with cold or room temperature foods, but if your kids prefer warmer foods, heat in the morning and place in a Thermos to keep warm for lunch. You could also warm them up, then wrap them tightly in a couple layers of aluminum foil, but this won’t keep them as hot as a Thermos.
Leftovers can be stored up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze them and store in a Ziplock bag for up to 3 months. These are ideal for meal-prepping!
What To Pack in Your Kids’ Lunchboxes with These Chicken and Rice Muffins
- Trail mix
- Fresh green beans
- Low-fat Ranch dressing
- Baby carrots
- Apple slices
- Fresh berries
- Swap the brown rice for cauliflower rice, like we did with our Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole.
- Add more veggies your kids love! Finely diced onions, bell peppers, or carrots would be delicious additions.
- Add more cheese by topping each muffin with a sprinkle of Cheddar cheese before baking to give them a crispy, cheesy crust on top. You could even use a different type of cheese like parmesan, white cheddar, or gouda!
More Recipes to Try
If you and your family enjoyed these Chicken and Rice Muffins, then try these other lunchbox-friendly recipes:
- Mandarin Chicken Stir-fry with Green Beans
- Fruity PB&J Sandwich
- Homemade Lunchables
- Pizza Bagel Bites
- Black Bean Empanadas
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox ideas? We’ve got you covered with 70+ ideas including make-ahead ideas, non-sandwich lunches, ideas for repurposing leftovers, and vegetarian, nut-free and gluten-free recipes.
Or check out all of our back-to-school content on our blog. A few of our most popular posts include:
- The Ultimate Guide to Packing Healthy Lunchboxes
- After-School Snacks that Won’t Ruin Dinner
- The Best Lunchboxes for Kids
- 20 Lunchbox-Packing Tips & Hacks from Parents
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Sazón seasoning
- 1/4 cup trail mix
- 1/2 cup snipped green beans
- 1 tablespoon lowfat Ranch
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in large mixing bowl. Add cooled rice, chicken, kale, broccoli, cheese and seasoning. Mix well.
- Fill muffin cups with chicken and rice mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let sit in pan a few minutes to cool, then remove.
- Serve with trail mix, green beans and Ranch.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5.5gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 60mgCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 16.5g