The cheesy chicken broccoli rice casserole is a comfort food staple in many houses. For this recipe, we swapped out the rice for riced cauliflower to pump up the veggies and skipped the condensed soup for an easy homemade version using pantry staples. This dish can also be made ahead of time and reheated for an easy weeknight meal.
Nutrition Tip: The carrot is not the only veggie helpful for maintaining eye health, as broccoli contains vitamins A, B, C, and E. All four vitamins aid in repairing any damage done from a bit too much screen time or beach days without sunglasses.
A classic casserole recipe is now upgraded with delicious cheesy goodness. The Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole is an excellent choice for a quick weeknight meal. Learn how to make it, why it’s good for you, and more. This recipe is one that the whole family will love.
What’s in The Recipe?
This Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole recipe is simple and quick to make. It calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts that have been cooked and chopped (In a pinch you could sub out chicken breasts for the chicken thighs, but it will increase the fat content). If you’re in a hurry, it also can be made with a rotisserie chicken. Anything to save time in the kitchen is a win in our books!
Other ingredients in the mix include: olive oil for cooking the chicken, all-purpose flour, low-sodium chicken broth, skim milk, curry powder (Don’t skip this! Trust us, it makes a difference), pepper, cauliflower rice, broccoli florets, and shredded low fat cheddar cheese.
Once all the ingredients are combined, the casserole should be ready to add to the oven. If desired, you can also add fresh parsley as a garnish before serving. To make this recipe, you will need an 8×8-inch baking dish.
If you would like, you can also add in some shredded carrots to the casserole before cooking. It will give a touch of sweetness to the dish and up the veggie content.
Our Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole is Incredibly Nutrient Dense
This casserole is a delicious way to get your daily dose of vegetables. Each serving packs a whopping 43 grams of protein and 3.5 grams of fiber. And because we swapped the traditional white rice for cauliflower rice, it’s not nearly as carb heavy as the traditional chicken and broccoli rice casserole is.
Pro Tip: Don’t double this recipe.
While you can make this twice to technically double it, we don’t recommend doubling it in one batch. Doing say could alter the cooking times and precise measurements of ingredients.
However, if you’re looking to stretch this meal to feed more people, you could pair this dish with a nice salad and some warm crusty bread to stretch it into more servings. Leftovers (if there are any!) can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. If you wish to serve it later, you can reheat it in the microwave or oven.
Then, for dessert, look through our amazing catalog of options here. We’re certain you can find something yummy and healthy to end your meal on a sweet note!
Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16 oz. package cauliflower rice
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste and place in heated skillet. Cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until browned. Cover and cook through. Remove from heat and let cool before chopping.
- Return skillet to medium-low heat. Add butter and let melt. Add flour and whisk 1 minute. Whisk in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in curry powder and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray 8×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in large bowl, cover and microwave on HIGH 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Add chicken and prepared sauce and mix well. Transfer to baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted.