Trail Mix is an easy and versatile snack – just combine your favorite nuts, seeds, grains, fun items and seasoning for a protein-packed snack that can be enjoyed at home or on-the-go. Print out a copy of this Build Your Own Trail Mix guide and mix up your own batch!
Click here for the printout!
Trail mix is considered an easy snack option for several reasons; the combination of convenience, long shelf life, nutrient density, and customization options makes trail mix a popular and easy snack choice for kids and adults.
Trail mix typically consists of a mixture of nuts, dried fruits, seeds, and sometimes other ingredients. The specific ingredients can vary based on your family’s personal preferences, but here are some common items found in trail mix:
- Nuts: Popular choices include peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts. Nuts are a good source of protein, healthy fats, and various nutrients.
- Dried Fruits: Think raisins, cranberries, apricots, cherries, blueberries, and mango…We love them all! These add natural sweetness and provide a source of fiber and antioxidants.
- Freeze Dried Fruits: Add a little crunch and a little sweetness along with some nutrients. Freeze dried apples and freeze dried strawberries are two of our favorites for adding to trail mix.
- Seeds: Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are frequently added to trail mix. They offer a crunchy texture and are a good source of healthy fats, protein, and minerals.
- Chocolate or Yogurt-covered Items: Mini chocolate chips, chocolate-covered nuts, or yogurt-covered raisins for added sweetness and indulgence.
- Granola or Cereal: Incorporate granola clusters, cereal puffs, or other crunchy grains to provide additional texture and energy.
- Coconut Flakes: Shredded or flaked coconut can be included to add a tropical flavor.
- Pretzels or Crackers: Add a savory element and provide a satisfying crunch.