This homemade watermelon salsa is ready in minutes and is the perfect topping to grilled chicken. Making this a healthy, low-fat, but very flavorful family meal. Plus, it’s ready in under 20 minutes!
Grilling season is just around the corner and I am always on the lookout for new easy dinner ideas for Summer time. This Grilled Chicken with Watermelon Salsa is easy to make with fresh ingredients for a light meal this Summer.
For some you may just be firing up your grill. If you are like us, we like to cook outside all year long (weather permitting). Fish, kabobs, and even fruit makes some awesome meals and snacks done on the grill. Grilled chicken is topped with a light, refreshing and fruity watermelon salsa that will transport you to an island getaway any time of the year. Serve with a packaged salad kit for a quick dinner.
What we love about this Watermelon Salsa
Watermelon Salsa? Yes! It is so fresh and tasty. Using Summer produce really elevates this grilled chicken recipe. A new idea for that large watermelon hanging out in your fridge!
Key Ingredients for this Grilled Chicken Recipe
Health Benefits of Watermelon
Watermelon is a great fruit to add to your Summer meal planning. It is in season all Summer long, juicy, and flavorful. Watermelon is loaded with Vitamins A & C, made up mostly of water (hence the name), and contains many anti-oxidants.
For more about watermelon and some fun facts, check out our produce tips page!
How to make this Grilled Chicken with Watermelon Salsa Recipe
For the Watermelon Salsa:
Mix the diced watermelon, tomatoes, onion, basil, 1 tsp. oil, balsamic vinegar and salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
For the grilled chicken:
Preheat the grill or skillet over medium heat. Prepare the chicken by rinsing and removing any unwanted parts with a sharp knife. Then brush the chicken with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill or in skillet and cook 3 minutes per side, or until internal temperatures reach 165°F.
When ready to serve, top the chicken with the cold watermelon salsa and enjoy!
What to serve with this grilled chicken dish
- Start off with a nice Arugula-Quinoa Salad with Fresh Peaches
- Grilled Corn is always a great option during the Summer months.
- Want more of a green veggie as a side? How about Lemon Garlic Roasted Artisan Broccoli
- Need a Summer dessert? How about some Peach Hand Pies!
Make sure to PIN IT!
Additions & Substitutions:
- You can use whatever fresh tomatoes you have. Romas or larger tomatoes will work just fine. Just use a serrated knife to chop them up.
- Red onion or white onion will work, too.
- Want to spice it up a bit? Add some red pepper flakes or diced jalapenos!
- Want more tender or juicy chicken? Marinate it in some chicken marinade or Italian dressing.
Grilled Chicken with Watermelon Salsa
- Grill Or Grill Pan
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 small sweet onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- Mix watermelon, tomatoes, onion, basil, 1 tsp. oil, balsamic vinegar and salt in large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat grill or skillet over medium heat. Brush chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill or in skillet and cook 3 minutes per side, or until internal temperatures reach 165°F.
- Top chicken with watermelon salsa.