Looking for a new dinner recipe for this Summer? How about these Baked Fish Tacos with Watermelon Rind Slaw for something refreshing and bursting with flavors! Delicious baked cod is topped with a crunchy, homemade slaw, avocado slices and salty Cotija cheese for a taco that will leave you wanting more!
This Baked Fish Taco recipe is ones of those that after we make it we say, we should make that more often. My family loves Cod fish for its mild flavor. I love preparing it because of its versatility. You can use fresh or frozen cod filets, too. These fish tacos are great for a lighter dinner option this Summer when the watermelon is in season since we use the rinds to make this crunchy slaw. This method is a great way to not only reduce food waste at home but also infuse your favorites with new flavors!
Note: The post is sponsored by the National Watermelon Promotional Board. All opinions are our own.
Nutrition Tip: You can slice up watermelon rind and use it just like any veggie–raw in a slaw or salad, stir-fried, or blended into smoothies. It’s rich in hydrating fluids.
What we love about this easy Baked Fish Taco Recipe with a Watermelon Rind Slaw
- Easy to make
- Fresh ingredients
- Refreshing flavors
- A lighter meal for the warmer months
- Re-using watermelon rinds for less food waste and new flavors.
Ways to use Watermelon Rind
You may have never even thought about eating or using the watermelon rind, and that is okay! But there are so many ways to incorporate them into recipes and ways to enjoy them. You can juice the rinds when making watermelon juice. Did you know that you can even pickle them? You can even add them into stir fry’s and other meals since they have the texture of a vegetable.
Make sure to check out our Food Rx: Heart-Healthy Benefits of Watermelon post, too!
Key Ingredients for these Baked Cod Tacos
- Cod filets
- Watermelon Rinds
- Coleslaw Mix
- Cotija Cheese
How to make these Baked Fish Tacos with Watermelon Rind Slaw
For the Watermelon Rind Slaw:
First julienne the watermelon rind by using a sharp knife to cut into long thin strips.
Then mix the coleslaw, watermelon rind, cilantro, lime juice and honey in large bowl. Season with some salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Baked Cod Tacos :
Preheat your oven to 450F.
Spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with some nonstick cooking spray and add in the cod slices.
Mix the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the fish evenly, coating all slices.
Bake for about 5-6 minutes, or until fish is cooked through and flaky.
Assemble tortillas with the fish, slaw, avocado and cheese. Sprinkle with some additional cilantro or fresh lime juice, as desired. Serve hot and enjoy.
Make Sure to Pin It!
Baked Fish Tacos with Watermelon Rind Slaw
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 cup julienned watermelon rind
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pound cod fillets sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 small street taco tortillas
- 1 small avocado sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- Mix coleslaw, watermelon rind, cilantro, lime juice and honey in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Spray 9×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and add cod slices.
- Mix chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and smoked paprika in small bowl. Sprinkle over fish, evenly coating all slices.
- Bake 5-6 minutes, or until fish is cooked through and flaky.
- Assemble tortillas with fish, slaw, avocado and cheese. Sprinkle with additional cilantro or fresh lime juice, as desired.