Delicious baked cod is topped with a crunchy, homemade slaw, avocado slices and salty Cotija cheese for a taco that will leave you wanting more! Don’t toss those watermelon rinds when you’re done! Did you know they can be peeled and used in recipes like this crunchy slaw? A great way to not only reduce food waste at home but also infuse your favorites with new flavors!
Note: The post is sponsored by the National Watermelon Promotional Board. All opinions are our own.
Nutrition Tip: You can slice up watermelon rind and use it just like any veggie–raw in a slaw or salad, stir-fried, or blended into smoothies. It’s rich in hydrating fluids.
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 cup julienned watermelon rind
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pound cod fillets, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 small street taco tortillas
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- Mix coleslaw, watermelon rind, cilantro, lime juice and honey in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Spray 9x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and add cod slices.
- Mix chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and smoked paprika in small bowl. Sprinkle over fish, evenly coating all slices.
- Bake 5-6 minutes, or until fish is cooked through and flaky.
- Assemble tortillas with fish, slaw, avocado and cheese. Sprinkle with additional cilantro or fresh lime juice, as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 8.2gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 19.3gFiber: 5gSugar: 3.9gProtein: 30g