We partnered with The Packer to showcase Watermelon and some tips & tricks you may not know about it.
- Watermelon is all year round.
Health Benefits of Watermelon:
- Watermelon contains Vitamin A for healthy eyes and skin, Vitamin B6 for immune function and brain development, and Vitamin C to boost immunity.
- Containing 92% water, watermelon helps keep you hydrated!
- Watermelon contains the antioxidant, lycopene, which may aid in sun protection.
How to Select Watermelon:
- Choose a firm, symmetrical watermelon that’s heavy for its size and free of bruises, soft spots, moldy patches and cracks.
- The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot. This is from where the watermelon sat on the ground and ripened.
How to Store Watermelon:
- If the watermelon you purchase was cold when you bought it, store it whole in the refrigerator. If it was not, there is no need to refrigerate it prior to cutting.
- Once you’ve cut a watermelon, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Prepare Watermelon:
- Be sure to wash your melon thoroughly before cutting so you don’t carry any surface bacteria into the edible watermelon flesh.
- Using a large, sharp knife, cut your watermelon in half to create a flat surface. Then slice or chop as desired.
Fun Facts About Watermelon:
- According to Guinness World Records, the world’s heaviest watermelon was grown by Chris Kent of Sevierville, Tennessee in 2013, weighing in at 350.5 lbs.
- Watermelon contains more than 92% of water, hence the name.
- China produces over 8 million tons of melons each year.
Learn more at The National Watermelon Board
Get additional resources in our Nutrition Education Center