No mayo here! This tuna salad is made with avocado, fresh veggies and balsamic vinaigrette for a creamy and tangy tuna salad
Tuna salad can have a bad wrap, but that’s mainly due to the traditional ingredients used. By swapped mayonnaise for avocado, we get a boost of good-for-you monounsaturated fats that contribute to heart health.
Nutrition Tip: Adding veggies to sandwiches increases the nutrient content of your meal [think Vitamin A and C] and can also that satisfying crunch and color.
This recipe also has a great crunch factor with carrots, green onions and walnuts. Perfect for a sandwich, wrap or topping off your salad.
The Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich is easy and affordable to make
As a mom, my time is precious, but so is my family’s health. That’s why I love the Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich so much. I can whip up a nutritious meal in no time, leaving me more quality moments with my loved ones.
The great thing about this Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich is that the ingredients are readily available at most grocery stores and won’t break the bank. You don’t need any fancy or expensive items to create this nutritious meal for your family.
It also packs a nutritional punch!
The Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich is not only delicious but also packs a punch when it comes to its nutritional value. Let’s take a closer look at the benefits of its key ingredients:
Avocados are the star ingredient of this sandwich, and they offer a wide range of health benefits:
– Healthy Fats: Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy fats that can help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
– Vitamins and Minerals: They are a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, vitamin E, vitamin C, potassium, and folate.
– Dietary Fiber: Avocados are packed with dietary fiber, which aids digestion, helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and promotes satiety, keeping you feeling fuller for longer.
Tuna, the protein-packed star of this sandwich, brings its own set of health benefits:
– High-Quality Protein: Tuna is a lean source of high-quality protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues, promoting muscle growth, and supporting a healthy immune system.
– Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Tuna is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). These fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties, support brain health, and promote cardiovascular health.
– B Vitamins: Tuna is a good source of various B vitamins, including vitamin B12, which plays a vital role in red blood cell formation and nerve function.
By combining these two powerhouse ingredients in the Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich, you are providing your family with a nutrient-dense meal that offers:
– Healthy Fats: The combination of avocado and tuna provides a healthy dose of monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids, which support heart health and overall well-being.
– Protein Power: The sandwich offers a substantial amount of protein, which is essential for growth, repair, and maintenance of the body’s tissues.
– Vitamins and Minerals: Avocado, tuna, and other added vegetables contribute to a range of vitamins and minerals that support various bodily functions.
– Fiber: The avocado and whole grain bread provide dietary fiber, which aids digestion, helps maintain stable blood sugar levels, and promotes a feeling of fullness.
The Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich not only satisfies your taste buds, but also nourishes your body with essential nutrients. It’s a win-win for busy moms that want to provide healthy, balanced meals to their families.
Possible substitutions or additions for customization:
– Don’t have balsamic vinaigrette? No worries! You can use your favorite salad dressing or even a squeeze of lemon juice for a tangy twist.
– If walnuts aren’t your thing, try substituting them with chopped almonds or sunflower seeds. It’s all about personal preference and getting creative with what you have on hand.
Remember, the Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich is highly customizable, so feel free to adapt it to your family’s tastes and preferences. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own!
Bread to Use for Your Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich
When it comes to choosing the bread for your Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich, there are several options that you can consider based on your family’s dietary needs and preferences. While we recommend whole wheat bread, here are three suitable bread options if you want an additional boost of health benefits:
1. Whole Grain Bread:
Whole grain bread is an excellent choice for a nutritious and fiber-rich sandwich. It is made from whole grains that include the bran, germ, and endosperm, providing essential nutrients. Here are the benefits:
– High in fiber: Whole grain bread helps promote healthy digestion and keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
– Packed with nutrients: It contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are beneficial for overall health.
– Provides sustained energy: The complex carbohydrates in whole grain bread release energy gradually, keeping you energized throughout the day.
2. Multigrain Bread:
Multigrain bread is made from a variety of grains, such as wheat, oats, barley, and corn. It offers a diverse range of flavors and textures. Here are the benefits:
– Rich in nutrients: With multiple grains, it provides a broader spectrum of vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber.
– Adds texture and taste: The combination of grains lends a delightful texture and nutty flavor to your sandwich.
– Provides a good source of energy: The combination of different grains offers a balanced source of carbohydrates, which helps sustain energy levels.
3. Gluten-Free Bread:
For those following a gluten-free diet or with gluten sensitivities, gluten-free bread is a suitable option. It is typically made from alternative grains like rice, quinoa, or buckwheat, along with gluten-free flours. Here are the benefits:
– Gluten-free alternative: It allows individuals with celiac disease or gluten intolerance to enjoy a tasty sandwich without any adverse reactions.
– Provides variety: Gluten-free bread comes in various flavors and textures, offering a diverse range of options.
– Can be nutrient-dense: Some gluten-free bread varieties are fortified with additional nutrients like vitamins and minerals to compensate for the absence of gluten-containing grains.
Remember to check the ingredient list and choose bread options that are minimally processed and free from added sugars or artificial additives. Ultimately, the choice of bread will depend on your family’s dietary needs and preferences, so go ahead and select the one that best suits your taste buds and health goals.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- Best Lunch Boxes For Kids
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich
- 1 6 oz. can tuna, drained
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- Mix tuna, green onions, avocado, dressing, carrots, and walnuts in mixing bowl.
- Toast bread, portion mixture into 2 servings and assemble sandwiches.