This Apple Zucchini Mini Muffin Bento Box is the perfect change up for yours and the kids lunchbox routine! These muffins are super tasty, moist, and loaded with healthy ingredients. Perfect for lunch, an after school snack, or even a quick grab and go breakfast item. You can even make a big batch to freeze, too.
We love zucchini bread at our house and we had a large zucchini from the garden so wanted to try out something new. We made these Apple Zucchini Mini Muffins and decided to pack them up in our bento box for lunch. These muffins are made with wholesome ingredients like fresh zucchini, apples, whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt and a few other pantry staples. Perfect for a yummy lunchbox addition or quick breakfast or snack.
Want the kids to help with this recipe? Your kids can easily help make these by measuring out ingredients, grating the zucchini and apples or mixing ingredients together. Could it be a little messy? Sure – but the memories will be great. And having them help make their food has so many benefits, too! They will be more excited to eat these healthy little muffins and can tell their friends they helped bake them up!
Quick note on flour: We love whole wheat flour because it’s higher in protein and fiber, but know it’s sometimes a hard sell to little ones. There is white whole wheat flour, which can give baked goods a lighter texture.
Nutrition Tip: Save extra Greek yogurt to spread on top of your muffin for an extra protein boost!
Key Ingredients for this Apple Zucchini Mini Muffin Bento Box
- Apple– shredded apples in this recipe made these muffins a little sweet. Apples are loaded with fiber and Vitamin C!
- Zucchini– grated zucchini in these muffins makes them super moist and adds so much nutrition! Zucchini are great to help build strong bones and teeth, can help lower cholesterol, and are also high in Vitamin C !
- Whole Wheat Flour– whole wheat flour can be swapped easily in most baking recipes. We use it often but you can use whatever flour your family enjoys, too!
- Greek Yogurt– baking with Greek Yogurt is a great choice as a healthy fat. Loaded with protein and helps with moisture in these muffins, too!
- Honey– honey makes a great natural sweetener in baking!
How to make these Apple Zucchini Mini Muffins
First preheat the oven to 350ºF degrees. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and whisk. In a separate bowl mix the honey, yogurt, egg and vanilla.
Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Fold in the grated zucchini and apple.
Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray and fill ¾ full. Bake 15 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and let cool.
Make sure to PIN IT!
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
Apple Zucchini Mini Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini excess water removed
- 1/2 cup grated Gala apple
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Mix honey, yogurt, egg and vanilla in separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Fold in zucchini and apple.
- Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray and fill ¾ full. Bake 15 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and let cool.
- Fill out your lunchbox with a fresh peach, baby carrots and Ranch, and cheese cubes