Skip the bread and make this avocado turkey wrap. Loaded with fresh vegetables for a delicious crunch, this easy lunch idea is also a healthy meal option that is ready in just minutes.
Looking for a nut-free, gluten-free lunch idea that is ready in just minutes? This avocado turkey wrap is just that! You won’t missed the bread or tortilla wrap when you make this yummy turkey wrap. We encourage eating with your hands in this fun take on the traditional turkey sandwich. This turkey wrap gets an extra punch of nutrition with the addition of guacamole and vegetables like cucumber, tomato, and carrots.
Nutrition Tip: Avocados are one of the only fruits that contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fat (the good-for-you fat) that helps boost good (HDL) cholesterol and lowers bad (LDL) cholesterol.
Why we love this Avocado Turkey Wrap recipe
- It’s easy! We are all about easy meal ideas.
- Kids can make themselves. Encourage your kiddos to fill their turkey wrap with their favorite veggies.
- It’s healthy and loaded with protein to keep your kiddos (or you!) going all afternoon long.
Simple Substitutions or Additions
- Pickles. A pickle spear wrapped in turkey is delicious! The combination of flavors adds a delightful tangy twist to each bite.
- Swap the ranch for hummus. The earthy and savory notes of hummus complement the turkey and vegetables beautifully.
- Roasted chickpeas are yummy and are loaded with protein.
- Leave off the ranch and cheese for a dairy-free lunch idea. The avocado already provides a creamy element, ensuring you don’t miss out on any flavor.
- Use pre-made guacamole if you don’t have a fresh avocado on hand.
Tips to Help Kids Help with Lunch
- Plan ahead – get all your ingredients ready and placed in bins or bags so kids can pull ingredients directly from the fridge when they are ready
- Provide options – Maybe your kids don’t like pickles or hummus or any of the substitutions we mentioned. Ask them what their favorite veggies and add-ins are and keep them at the ready
- Offer guidance but don’t help them make it – Something about the independence of making your own meal makes kids more likely to actually eat it
- Make it fun – Play some music, engage in conversation, or even challenge them to create funny face wraps with the veggies. The more enjoyable the experience, the more likely they’ll be enthusiastic about making their own wraps again in the future
FAQs About Our Tasty Avocado Turkey Wrap
- Can I make this recipe ahead of time and refrigerate it for later? Yes, you can prepare the components of the wrap in advance and assemble it when you’re ready to eat. However, it’s best to store the ingredients separately to prevent sogginess with your veggies. Keep the turkey, vegetables, and avocado (or guacamole) in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to enjoy the wrap, simply assemble it by layering the ingredients.
- Can I use different deli meats instead of turkey? Absolutely! This recipe is versatile, and you can use different deli meats such as chicken, ham, roast beef, or even vegetarian options like tofurkey or simple truth. Choose your favorite deli meat or mix and match for variety.
- Can I wrap this wrap in tortilla? Sure! That’s one of the fun things about wraps. Anything goes. And, if you prefer to use tortillas, whole grain options are a great choice for added fiber and nutrients. Look for whole wheat or multigrain tortillas as a healthier alternative to traditional white flour tortillas.
- Can I make these wraps for a crowd or pack them for lunch? Absolutely! These wraps are great for both individual servings and larger gatherings. For packed lunches, wrap the assembled avocado turkey wrap tightly in plastic wrap or reusable pack to keep it fresh. Alternatively, you can cut it into smaller pinwheels for bite-sized portions. We’d recommend a toothpick through the pinwheels if you choose this option though so it doesn’t fall apart.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- Best Lunch Boxes For Kids
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
Tasty Avocado Turkey Wrap
- 1/2 pound thick sliced low-sodium turkey
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 teaspoons light Ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup carrots peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 to mato sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, sliced
- 1 avocado mashed
- Lay turkey slices flat on plate. Place cheese on top.
- Spread with 1 tsp. dressing. Add carrots, tomato, lettuce, cucumbers, pepper and avocado.
- Roll up and secure with toothpick.