Roasted Chickpeas – 9 Ways
Roasted chickpeas are a quick, easy and delicious crunchy snack! This plant-based protein can be tossed in an endless combination of seasonings to fit any mood.
My oldest loves to make a batch of roasted chickpeas over the weekend so she can easily grab as a snack all week. She searches through the spices to figure out a good flavor combo, mixes it up and sprinkles on the chickpeas before roasted.
Don’t be intimidated by roasted chickpeas! They’re simple to make.
How to make roasted chickpeas
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Place in a colander in the sink or on top of a plate to dry. The dryer, the better so we like to let them sit on the counter all morning until we’re ready to roast. You can also spread them out on paper towels to soak up extra moisture.
- Mix your seasonings. Some of our favorite combos are listed out below. Get creative with your favorite flavors for a unique, crunchy snack.
- Toss your chickpeas. Use your favorite oil to lightly toss the chickpeas, then mix with your seasonings.
- Bake! Spread your chickpeas out on a sheet pan and let your oven do the work. Just make sure to give them a toss every 15 minutes or so.
Roasted Chickpeas Flavor Combinations:
- Classic: 1 tsp. salt
- Lemon Pepper: 1 lemon, juiced + ½ tsp. pepper
- Spicy: ½ tsp. cumin, ½ tsp. chili powder
- Cinnamon Sugar: 3 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon (To prevent burning, roast chickpeas first, then toss in cinnamon sugar while still hot.)
- Everything: 2 tsp. everything bagel seasoning
- Ranch: 2 tsp. Ranch seasoning
- Garlic: 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Cheezy: 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, ½ tsp. each garlic and onion powder
- Curry: 1 tsp. curry powder, ½ tsp. chili powder, ½ tsp. paprika
Beyond just eating roasted chickpeas as a snack, they also make a great crunchy topping to salads (like this sweet kale salad) or adding protein to Buddha bowls.
Store extra roasted chickpeas in an airtight container or ziplock bag at room temperature for easy snacking.
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Seasonings of choice
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Let sit in colander to dry or dry on paper towels for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer chickpeas to parchment-lined baking sheet and toss with olive oil and seasonings.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway, until crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.