Prepped in under 15 minutes and perfect for a side or a healthy lunch option! This Italian Vegetable Wild Rice Salad is delicious, healthy, and easy to make. Turn boring rice into a festive dish by adding a few veggies, protein and a homemade vinaigrette. This is perfect paired with a cup of soup, as a side to your favorite main dish, or even a side for a BBQ.
During the warmer months I have been experimenting with some lighter lunch options for myself. Last week I made some Smashed Chickpea Salad Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers and the week before some Rainbow Veggie Wraps. My kids love rice dishes so figured I would try to make something and loaded it up with some veggies. This easy cold rice salad was a hit with them and myself. I even took it to a cookout over the weekend as a cold dish. It was nice for something different.
What I love about this Wild Rice Salad with Vegetables
- Easy to make
- Loaded with bell peppers, cucumbers, ham, and pepperoni
- Great for lunch or a side dish
- Great for meal prep
- A great recipe to use up some leftover ham
Now many people think rice is not good for you or is just a starch, but that isn’t true. Wild grain rice is known to have many anti-oxidants, lots of fiber, and can help in lowering blood pressure. It is a good source of protein and is generally low in calories, too!
Wild rice is a great option if you trying to eat a gluten free diet, too. So if you have Celiac’s disease or other dietary restrictions this recipe may be the perfect fit. Since wild rice is loaded with fiber, wild rice is a great option to help aid in loosing weight, too since you stay fuller for longer.
How to make this Cold Rice Salad
First start by cooking the rice according to the package and then cooling.
In a mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil. Whisk it up until it is well combined.
Next combine the cooked rice, ham, pepperoni, onion, bell pepper and cucumber in large bowl. Stir gently to mix all of the ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve and then mix in the dressing.
Serve cold and enjoy!
How long is this Wild Rice Salad good for in the refrigerator?
Make sure to store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Make sure to PIN IT!
Additions & Substitutions:
- If you have a white or brown rice, that will work, too.
- Want to spice is up a bit? You can add a jalapeno or some red pepper flakes.
- Feel free to add some more veggies like shredded carrots, more peppers, celery, or whatever your family enjoys.
- If you are trying to use up leftover ham, go ahead and toss more ham into the recipe.
Looking for another cold salad idea? Make sure to check out our Rainbow Italian Pasta Salad!
Italian Vegetable Wild Rice Salad
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups cooked wild rice cooled
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 4 ounces pepperoni chopped
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 small cucumber peeled, chopped
- Combine lemon juice, vinegar, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil in small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine rice, ham, pepperoni, onion, bell pepper and cucumber in large bowl. Stir gently to mix. Refrigerate 1 hour. Before serving, mix in dressing.