Put a fresh veggie spin on pizza, a kid favorite, with this easy recipe. Cauliflower is a powerhouse of nutrients that help fight cancer, improve heart health and boost brain health. Get you kids involved by letting them coat the cauliflower in the breadcrumb mixture.
Nutrition Tip: The high water and fiber content in cauliflower prevents constipation and lowers your risk of developing colon cancer.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (12 oz.) package cauliflower florets
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pepperoni
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Beat eggs and water in deep bowl, set aside. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese and 1 tsp. salt in another bowl.
- Dredge cauliflower florets in egg mixture and then breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat each piece thoroughly. Place single layer on prepared baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, or until golden.
- While cauliflower bakes, heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and 1 tsp. salt. Add pepperoni and stir. Reduce heat to low and let simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Italian seasoning.
- Serve cauliflower bites with sauce for dipping.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 3gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 507mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g