The days of store-bought shake and bake kits are over – this recipe calls for ingredients that most families already have in their pantry! Dinner and clean up is easy, so your family can enjoy all of the crispy goodness of this healthier “fried” chicken. And what better dish to pair your “fried” chicken with than a bowl of cheesy broccoli rice? It cooks at the same temperate as the chicken, helping you get a complete meal on the table without a lot of fuss.
Nutrition Tip: Broccoli is a naturally good source of folate, a B vitamin that is vital for the production of red blood cells and for preventing folate-deficiency anemia.
Easy Shakin’ Breaded Drumsticks & Cheesy Broccoli Rice Bake
- 1 1/2 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix breadcrumbs, 2 Tbsp. oil, paprika, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning in gallon-size zip top bag. Shake well to mix.
- Moisten drumsticks with water and add 6 at a time to the bag. Shake well to coat. Remove from bag and place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining drumsticks. Discard any leftover breading.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until internal temperatures reach 165°F and outsides are brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, combine rice, broccoli, 1 Tbsp. oil and salt in medium sauce pan. Add 2¾ cups boiling water.
- Cover and bake alongside drumsticks 35 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and gently stir in cheese.