Shepherd’s Pie is always a family classic with layers of goodness and perfect any time of the year. This Turkey Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower puts a healthier spin on the classic comfort food. A flavorful and hearty casserole that uses ground turkey and mashed cauliflower versus regular mashed potatoes.
Traditional Shepherd’s Pie is often associated with Irish foods and Saint Patrick’s Day. A more traditional Shepherd’s Pie is actually made with ground lamb. This ground turkey recipe is a healthier version that is still loaded with flavor and a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies, too.
We have made this recipe to help celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in the past along with our other version that has fresh vegetables and thinly sliced potatoes on top.
Key Ingredients for this Turkey Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Potatoes
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower packs a punch when it comes to your daily intake of Vitamin C! Which of course we all know if great to help support our immune system. It is also an anti-inflammatory, high in protein, high in fiber, and loaded with other vitamins. Cauliflower also contains some properties that help fight against certain cancers and can help protect you from heart disease.
How to make this Turkey Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower
For the turkey filling
First preheat your oven to 400°F.
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Then add the onion, carrots, and corn and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Next add in the ground turkey and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly.
Add in the flour and salt, stir to coat. Next add in the Worcestershire, garlic powder, tomato sauce and ½ cup water. Mix well and cook until heated through.
For the Mashed Cauliflower
Place cauliflower in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes, or until tender. Add in the cream cheese and ½ cup cheese, and mix with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
Spoon turkey mixture into 11×8-inch baking dish. Top with the mashed cauliflower and spread to evenly coat. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup cheese.
Bake for about 10 minutes, or until bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!
What to serve with this Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
To complete your meal, I would serve this up with a nice green salad, maybe some whole wheat dinner rolls, and a healthy dessert. If you are making this for Saint Patrick’s Day then you could always serve up our Green Fruit Salad and some kid friendly treats!
Additions & Substitutions:
- Does your family like ground chicken? You can use that in this recipe too.
- Ground beef fans? That will work too just pick a lean ground beef.
- Have a bag of frozen mixed vegetables? Yes you can use that instead.
Make sure to PIN IT!
Turkey Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 8 oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 16 ounces cauliflower crumbles chopped
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and corn, and cook 5 minutes, or until softened. Add turkey and cook 5-7 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly. Add flour and salt, stir to coat. Add Worcestershire, garlic powder, tomato sauce and ½ cup water. Mix well and cook until heated through.
- Place cauliflower in large bowl and microwave on HIGH 4 minutes, or until tender. Add cream cheese and ½ cup cheese, and mix with electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Spoon turkey mixture into 11×8-inch baking dish. Top with mashed cauliflower and spread to evenly coat. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese melts.