Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish made with mashed potatoes and either kale or cabbage. This version is made in the Instant Pot for a quick and easy side dish for St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year.
Another family favorite is this colcannon.
What is Colcannon?
If you’ve never heard of Colcannon be prepared for something delicious! This traditional Irish recipe combines potatoes, kale or cabbage, butter and milk for a creamy and delicious side dish.
Here’s what you need:
- Potatoes: I used Russet potatoes for this recipe, but you could use whatever variety of potatoes you prefer for mashed potatoes, like Yukon gold and red potatoes.
- Cabbage: We prefer the cabbage version of colcannon, but you could sub for kale too.
- Onion: Onion adds lots of great flavor, but isn’t 100% necessary to a delicious colcannon if you don’t have on hand.
- Dairy: Milk and butter are a must for rich, creamy mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Tip: It may look like iceberg lettuce, but cabbage is not a nutritional lightweight! It’s a surprising source of vitamin C, contains a little bit of calcium and potassium, and has cancer-fighting compounds like broccoli.
How to Make Colcannon in the Instant Pot
- Saute your cabbage and onions with butter until softened. Add potatoes, water, salt and pepper.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, set to sealing and cook on High 5 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure, add your milk and mash mash mash.
I love topping colcannon with green onions, bacon or cheese for a delicious addition!
New to the Instant Pot? We have you covered with Instant Pot tips and recipes!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 head green cabbage, sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add butter and let melt. Add cabbage and onions. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add potatoes and water and season with salt and pepper.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure 5 minutes (Instant Pot will take 10 minutes to come up to pressure before counting down). When done cooking, quick release pressure.
- Add milk and mash with potato masher.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 21mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g