Instant Pot Colcannon
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish made with mashed potatoes and either kale or cabbage. This version is made in the Instant Pot for a quick and easy side dish for St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year.
St. Patrick’s Day is coming up and I’m looking forward to some of my favorite dishes, like Shepherd’s Pie, Corned Beef and Cabbage and lots of green. If you would like to prepare a more traditional recipe, you need to try this Instant Pot Colcannon. This side dish is simple to make and cooks quickly with the help of the pressure cooker.
Whether you are Irish or not, it is fun to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day with some traditions, fun treats, and some comfort foods. If you like mashed potatoes and have never tried Colcannon, than this recipe is for you. Adding some cabbage to mashed potatoes is a great way to eat your veggies, even the kids will love it.
I also like to whip up some rainbow foods like this Rainbow Buddha Bowls for something fun for my kids – they love the colors, I love the nutrition they get from eating a rainbow.
Another family favorite is this colcannon.
What is Colcannon?
If you’ve never heard of Colcannon be prepared for something delicious! This traditional Irish recipe combines potatoes, kale or cabbage, butter and milk for a creamy and delicious side dish.
Key Ingredients for this Instant Pot Colcannon:
- Potatoes: I used Russet potatoes for this recipe, but you could use whatever variety of potatoes you prefer for mashed potatoes, like Yukon gold and red potatoes.
- Cabbage: We prefer the cabbage version of colcannon, but you could sub for kale too.
- Onion: Onion adds lots of great flavor, but isn’t 100% necessary to a delicious colcannon if you don’t have on hand.
- Dairy: Milk and butter are a must for rich, creamy mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Tip: It may look like iceberg lettuce, but cabbage is not a nutritional lightweight! It’s a surprising source of vitamin C, contains a little bit of calcium and potassium, and has cancer-fighting compounds like broccoli.
Check out our favorite Instant Pot!
Health benefits of cabbage
Cabbage is great for our digestive tracks. It is loaded with fiber and is low in calories. Cabbage is loaded with nutrients, anti-cancer compounds, and packed with Vitamin C! This power veggie is also very versatile in recipes and generally very cost efficient.
How to Make Colcannon in the Instant Pot
- Saute your cabbage and onions with butter until softened. Add potatoes, water, salt and pepper.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, set to sealing and cook on High 5 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure, add your milk and mash mash mash.
I love topping colcannon with green onions, bacon or cheese for a delicious addition!
New to the Instant Pot? We have you covered with Instant Pot tips and recipes!
Make sure to PIN IT!
Instant Pot Colcannon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 head green cabbage sliced
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 4 pounds Russet potatoes peeled, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add butter and let melt. Add cabbage and onions. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add potatoes and water and season with salt and pepper.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure 5 minutes (Instant Pot will take 10 minutes to come up to pressure before counting down). When done cooking, quick release pressure.
- Add milk and mash with potato masher.
More recipes to try:
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Carrots
Fun St. Patrick’s Day Recipes for Kids