Give the traditional creamed spinach a healthy makeover with this rich and creamy Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms recipe. This easy side dish is ready in just 20 minutes, making it an excellent option for weeknight meals as well as your holiday dinners. The addition of mushrooms adds a great unami flavor.
I love creamed spinach! I was anemic as a kid and my mom would make sure this was on the dinner table at least once a week. This dish gives traditional creamed spinach a healthy makeover while still maintaining that rich and creamy texture that everyone loves.
Instead of using heavy cream, we swap in lowfat milk and a flavorful Colby Jack cheese for just the right amount of creamy goodness without a ton of fat.
Nutrition Tip: Leafy green spinach is packed with many essential vitamins and minerals. It is an especially rich source of magnesium –a mineral that is vital for muscle movement and nerve function.
Spinach is a rich source of folate and iron, and onions are an excellent source of vitamin C. Plus, mushrooms provide even more vitamins, including copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc and a number of B vitamins such as folate.
The secret to this Creamed Spinach & Mushrooms recipe is nutmeg. You only need a pinch, but without it I think you miss that warm dept of flavor.
- Sweet Onion
- Nutmeg – don’t leave this out
- Pantry staples
Can you make creamed spinach ahead of time?
Yes! Feel free to make it a few days ahead of time and store it in an air-tight container in the fridge. When you are ready to reheat, warm it up on the stove or in the microwave until it’s heated throughout.
Can you freeze it?
Yes! Feel free to make a double-batch and freeze some until you are ready to enough this creamy and delicious side-dish again. You can freeze it in an air-tight container for about 3 months. When you are ready to eat up your creamed spinach and mushrooms, just place it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw, or thaw it in the microwave.
Get more fresh takes on holiday favorites with our free e-cookbook!
Creamed Spinach & Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 9 ounces baby spinach
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium high heat; add onions and cook for 2–3 minutes, until translucent. Add mushrooms cook for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes, or until bubbling. Slowly whisk in milk and continue to whisk until bubbling. Remove from heat. Add cheese and mix until melted.
- Add cheese to vegetable mixture and mix until well combined.