This recipe for chicken lo mein will have you skipping on take-out and opting for a family-friendly, home-cooked meal instead. Ready in under 30 minutes, this is an easy weeknight meal option!
One Pot Wonders are all the rage, and for good reason! What’s easier than throwing everything into a pot (no need to cook the pasta!) and having dinner ready in 20 minutes with little to no work? This recipe for chicken lo mein will have you skipping on take-out and opting for a family-friendly, home-cooked meal instead.
I don’t know about you but sometimes it is hard to come up with a meal that has all the good stuff in it. You want protein, starch, and vegetables. I know some nights are easier than others to prepare a well rounded meal for the family. Well, that is why I love this One-Pot Chicken Lo Mein dish. It is packed with wonderful vegetables, chicken, whole wheat pasta, and flavor!
What we love about this One-Pot Chicken Lo Mein
- Comes together quickly for a weeknight meal
- Loaded with mushrooms, carrots, and bell peppers
- The whole family will love it
- One pot for easy clean up
If your family is like mine, pasta is a winner at dinner! My kids love when I make Lemon Chicken & Veggie Pasta and Cheesy Taco Pasta. So if you are worried that they won’t want to try “Lo Mein” still give it a shot! This recipe is made with whole wheat linguine noodles versus a Chinese egg or rice noodle.
What is Lo Mein?
Lo Mein is a type of Chinese dish made with noodles. The noodles are generally tossed into a sauce towards the end of the cooking process to soak up the sauce and flavors. The dish is usually loaded with vegetables and either meat or seafood. So in this easy recipe we used chicken but feel free to swap out for some shrimp!
How to make this Chicken Lo Mein in One Pot
First prep all of the vegetables you will be using. Then slice the chicken breasts into small strips.
Next grab out your favorite large pot and add in the chicken and pasta, then carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, garlic, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, broth and oil.
Cover, bring to a rolling boil over high heat and stir. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until most of the liquid is gone and the chicken is cooked through.
Remove from heat, uncover and let sit 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with some green onions and serve hot.
Make sure to PIN IT!
Additions & Substitutions:
- Want to make it with shrimp instead? Go for it!
- Want to make this a vegetarian meal? Leave out the chicken and swap out the chicken stock for vegetable broth.
- Like a little spice? You could add a little red pepper flakes or even Sriracha sauce.
- Does you family like different vegetables? You could always try some sugar snap peas, broccoli, celery, or other veggies that you have on hand.
Looking for other One Pot Meals? Check out our list of 25 Healthy One Pot Meals for Quick Dinners
One-Pot Chicken Lo Mein
- 1/2 pound boneless chicken breast cut into small strips
- 16 oz whole wheat linguini 1 box
- 8 ounces matchstick carrots
- 1 medium red bell pepper julienned
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 green onions sliced into 1-inch strips
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add chicken and pasta, then carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, garlic, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, broth and oil to large stockpot. Cover, bring to a rolling boil over high heat and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until most of the liquid is gone and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, uncover and let sit 5 minutes before serving.