If turkey is your go-to holiday main dish, you’ll love this freshened up version. Citrus and sage offer up tons of flavor while keeping the turkey tender and juicy.
Get more fresh takes on holiday favorites with our free e-cookbook.
- 8 pound whole turkey, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested, quartered
- 1 large Navel orange, zested, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus 6 whole leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, plus 4 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, quartered
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place turkey in roasting pan.
- Heat small saucepot over low heat; add butter, oil, lemon zest, orange zest, sage, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes, or until butter melts. Let cool slightly and liberally coat turkey with mixture.
- Stuff turkey cavities with quartered lemon and orange, sage leaves, garlic cloves and onion.
- Bake 2½-3 hours, or until internal thigh temperature reaches 180° and breast temperature reaches 165°. Cool 15-20 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 6gCholesterol: 181mgSodium: 456mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 62g