Are you ready for new flavorful vegetarian dish or dinner idea for Meatless Mondays? Try these Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas for a fun spin on the traditional quesadilla. The sweet and savory filling in this sweetpotato and black bean quesadilla makes it the perfect vegetarian dish. Add spinach, peppers, or even onions for some extra veggies.
Okay I know what you are thinking…sweetpotato in a quesadilla? Well, I am here to tell you it is a wonderful combination! I love the sweet and savoy flavors that sweetpotatoes provide. Last week I made some of our Roasted Sweet Potato Taco Bowls and knew exactly what I wanted to do this week for our Taco Tuesday spread. These quesadillas are super easy to make, loaded with some great benefits, and still pack a whole lot of flavor between the tortillas.
Key Ingredients in these Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas
- Black Beans
- Whole Wheat Tortillas
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are known to be high in antioxidants, fiber, loaded with Vitamin C, and can help with weight management. Besides tasting great, sweet potatoes also contain immune boosting properties and can even help fight against certain types of cancer.
Now that is just to name a few great benefits, for more on sweetpotatoes and some fun facts, make sure to visit our Produce Tips page.
How to make these Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas
Step 1: Cook The Sweet Potato
Start by pricking the sweet potato with a fork and microwave for about 5 minutes on HIGH. Let cool slightly.
Cut the potato in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into large bowl and mash until smooth.
Step 2: Make the quesadilla filling
Next combine the beans, the cilantro, and taco seasoning to the mashed sweet potato and mix well.
Step 3: Assemble the quesadilla
Then spread the sweet potato mixture evenly on one side of a tortilla, sprinkle with some cheese and place second tortilla on top.
Step 4: Heat the quesadilla
Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Then cook for about 3 – 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Flip and cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining tortillas and mixture.
Cut into quarters and serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Make sure to Pin this recipe for later!
Additions & Substitutions:
- If you want to pack these quesadillas with some more power foods? Go ahead and add some bell peppers, onions, or spinach!
- Like a little heat? Chop up a jalapeno!
- Like corn? Corn and black beans pair very well together.
- Don’t feel like making quesadillas? Just spoon the mixture into the tortillas and enjoy as tacos.
- Don’t have taco seasoning? Be sure to check out our Homemade Taco Seasoning!
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. If you are looking for more ideas for sweet potatoes, please check out our post 6 Healthy and Delicious Ways To Prepare Sweet Potatoes!
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can low-sodium black beans drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium taco seasoning
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup lowfat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Prick sweet potato with fork and microwave for 5 minutes on HIGH. Let cool slightly.
- Cut in half lengthwise and scoop flesh into large bowl. Mash until smooth.
- Combine beans, cilantro, and seasoning to sweet potato and mix well.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Spread sweet potato mixture evenly on one side of tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and place second tortilla on top. Cook 3 – 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Flip and cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining tortillas and mixture. Cut into quarters.