These pecan rice stuffed apples will be a hit at your holiday celebration. Combining fall favorites like apples and pecans, this delicious and elegant side dish is sure to add a sparkle to the dinner table. Opt for larger apples that are firm for easier preparation.
Nutrition Tip: Pecans are one of the most fiber-rich nuts with three grams per serving–as much as a slice of whole-wheat bread. They’re also high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 6 large Sage Fruit® apples
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook 3-5 minutes, or until crisp. Remove from skillet. Add onion and cook 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
- Chop bacon and add to skillet. Stir in rice and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cut top ⅓ off each apple. Use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out flesh, leaving ¼ to ½-inch around edges. Fill with rice.
- Place apples in baking dish and bake 30 minutes, or until tender.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 8gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 7gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g